connecting to aol without the software

forcer

OSNN Senior Addict
is it possible to connect to AOL without loading that ****in software... using XP

thanx

no... you need their software to authenticate and use their services.

that page asumes you are allready on line.

I think the question is asking if you can use the computer dialer instead of the aol dialer

Originally posted by dealer
that page asumes you are allready on line.

I think the question is asking if you can use the computer dialer instead of the aol dialer

Good Point. I wasn't sure if he had internet access already. :eek:

there is an old legend that you can use the windows daler and manually dial into aol with a nation wide number..it's not an 800 number...I don't know if it's true, but it's also claimed the rates are lower if you do it that way

you have to use their software ;) but as soon as your conected minimize Aol + open firebird :p :cool:

in aol 3.x and below you could use a dialer that was modified. i downloaded the ao-dialer from a weird website, and i didnt really trust it, but my friend setup a firewall to make sure it wasnt doing anything funny.. and it worked fine.

i dont think you can do it anymore, but hey, who knows.

I've asked this same question in several other forums and I was always told you have to run AOL's bloatware. Ugh. I hated it, which is why I'm happy as can be on cable! :)

I've even called AOL support and they had to go talk to a tech. You'd think this question would pop up often enough that they would have the answer handy. Anyway, they said it couldn't be done too. They also said they didn't have a version or method to connect in Linux. Another reason for the switch to cable.

And you know, broadband really isn't that much more expensive anymore.

If I recall correctly saw on I think sourceforge there was a linux aol proggy that would allow you to connect to aol using linux ... I think it just used Wine maybe?

*Edit* - was on freshmeat.net and here it is.

*Edit #2* - here it is in english

ok, just got the lowdown from aol tech support...tee hee...making believe I actually want to sign up

yes, there are legasy customers that were given the ability to get on line without the aol software...he says they might still be able to do it.

in addition, if you are already a memeber, they have in the works a dialer that does not use the aol software...you can use it if you sign up to be a beta tester.

^^ that is true n Aol 9ish they are planning to introduce a dialer only package ;) go to Aol kyword beta or beta 9 to have a look see :D

Okay, just one question and I'll leave this alone:

WHY would anyone WANT to log onto AOL? I mean if you're totally inept, then maybe consider it, but otherwise....awfuggetaboutit.

Originally posted by dealer
ok, just got the lowdown from aol tech support...tee hee...making believe I actually want to sign up

yes, there are legasy customers that were given the ability to get on line without the aol software...he says they might still be able to do it.

in addition, if you are already a memeber, they have in the works a dialer that does not use the aol software...you can use it if you sign up to be a beta tester.

Is this there new "netscape" ISP project thingy?

Actually... not only is AOL trialling a dialer program that allows you to connect without loading their bloatware.. err, software... they're also trialling IMAP access to their email. ;) Never thought that'd happen!

my grandma (83 years old) learned AOL, and is too stubborn to switch to something else... its just easier.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back