connecting 2pcs via usb?

Andy

Meep.
i just built myself a new computer, and i have some important files and program installers on this older computer that id like to transfer to the other new computer.

both have usb 2.0 posts on the front, and i was wondering if it was possible to connect one to the other this way, so i can transfer these few files onto the other computer. a few of the files are too big to fit on cd btw, hense asking.

cheers!

u need a usb network cable, costs about three times the price of 2 £6 network cards & a £3 crossover cable.

there is no way to just hook up a usb lead and transfer files.

Or you could just pull the HD out of the old machine, set its jumper to slave, set jumper in new machine to master and copy all your data onto the HD.

Make sure not to copy the operating system over that gets messy.

if both pc's have usb2.0, then they undoubtedly have 100base ethernet. just buy a $5 crossover cable.

stupid question, but instead of a crossover usb cable, could you use 2 usb cables and a hub to network 2 computers?

i dont want to be spending much money you see, since i want to set up a wireless network in the future.

ill just remove the hard drive i think, transfer what i need them put it all back together. pain in the ass, but cheap.

Originally posted by dreamliner77
stupid question, but instead of a crossover usb cable, could you use 2 usb cables and a hub to network 2 computers?

so many ask if there is a way round, not 1 as of yet, and they say its not possible.

usb was not meant to network computers. that's the reason why all usb cables have A/B ends (rectangle/square). they don't want people trying to plug each end into a seperate computer. it won't work, even with a hub.

i just got the idea as i can connect removable hard drives via usb, why not my internal one?

i cant get the hdd out of the old pc, so im just going to have to redownload the vitals, burn what i can, and send the other files when i get the network set up.

Originally posted by hybrid
i just got the idea as i can connect removable hard drives via usb, why not my internal one?
Well you can, if you put it in an external hdd enclusure with USB.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back