connecting 2 pc

Nismo83

OSNN AZN Addict
I've installed both pc with network cards and i connect a cable to each of the card.. there is no switch used here... but the problem occurs... i cant connect between the two pc. how am i supposed to do it?

In the 'My Network Places' window, have you clicked on "set up home or office network"?

Are the ip addresses different from one another?

Do the lights come up on each network card (to see if they work)

What are both systems running on? (windows?)

Alex :cool:

the host computer would be running a Windows XP Pro, NIC and the other computer running Windows ME, NIC.. i tried to connect it by plugging each end of the RJ45 cable into each NIC.. but nth happens and the host PC (Win XP) detect that a network cable was unplugged.

make sure all are on samework group (my computer-> properties)
then tcpip settings would be like:

box1

box2

then share the folders you want on each box by right click and going to properties and sharing.
if you can't see it in networking do this in IE:
\\192.168.1.2\sharename

if you were on box3 and wanted stuff from box1
and so on

hmm... nobody bothered to ask whether or not he's using a crossover cable? Don't take it personally. that's what happened to me first time i tried networking my PC and laptop together.

origionally submitted by Nismo83
i tried to connect it by plugging each end of the RJ45 cable into each NIC.

He's connecting the two computers together using 1 cable :p

Originally posted by Alex_is_Axel
He's connecting the two computers together using 1 cable :p

What does that mean?

ED is right, to directly connect the PC's you need a crossover cable.

Check if the conenction lights on the NICs are green, if not you have the wrong type of cable.

When direct connecting you need a cross over cable staht swaps the transmit and receive lines.

yup.. thats what i need.. a crossover cable. how does it different with the rj45 and how does it look like?

looks the same, but the wires are crossed-over (hence the name), the wires that are transmitting data on one end are twisted over to be receiving data on the other end, and vice versa.

Usually the cable is yellow I believe. Basically the wires are swapped around at one end. You can buy one at best buy. An alternative is a hub with 2 regular cables.

i got the cable and now the two pc is up running... everything smooth and cool.. too bad the 2nd pc is p233mmx wit 32mb ram and a built in ATi 2mb video card(not graphic card).. i was wondering if i put 128ram to it.. will it show lotta difference interm of performance? not games for sure.. like office 2000, etc.

Originally posted by Leedogg
Usually the cable is yellow I believe.
Never trust the colour. Even if cross-over cables sometimes are coloured. But then again so are straight cables...

Originally posted by Nismo83
i got the cable and now the two pc is up running... everything smooth and cool.. too bad the 2nd pc is p233mmx wit 32mb ram and a built in ATi 2mb video card(not graphic card).. i was wondering if i put 128ram to it.. will it show lotta difference interm of performance? not games for sure.. like office 2000, etc.
Yes, probably. But make sure you get the right kind of memory. It's probably EDO you want for that one. 60ns or so. They have to be installed in pairs.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back