Connect to home server

Ezergeezer

OSNN Addict
Hi all, prolly a stupid question but here it is. I want to be able to connect to my home server from work, I'm using a dyndns service and this works fine everywhere else, except at work! I assume they are blocking the connection or the dyndns address!

My question is, are they likely to be blocking ip address ranges or ports or just the keywords in address bar in IE?

Geezer.

ports and services i would expect, im guessing they are filtering using rules, so that only web and email can be used

Cheeers for quick reply! If services and that you mean dyndns, can you, another silly question!

I have a number of web sites that use web forwarding to mask the address in the IE address bar, can I use www.myhomeserver.com (not real) say and redirect to dyndns servce if it was filtering on address bar?

umm... silly followup question:

when you say "connect to my home server" - how/what are you trying to connect to? a home web server over port 80? RDP access to your server at home? FTP server setup at home?

I'm connecting via log in page on IE from ip address through dyndns service, to home server connected to my router.

Geezer.

yeah.. that doesn't really answer my question.. are you running a website on your home server that you are trying to connect to? Is it strictly a static data site? Is it an FTP site?

Home Server has a web interface that allows you to login and do certain things like remote desktop via the browser and I think you can browse files and such.

That is if we are talking about the Windows Home Server OS and not actual version of Windows Server (2003, 2008, etc).

Sorry Fitz, yeh just static data retrieval, no website, no Windows server.

Yes Admiral, no remote desktop, just data browse, transfer and retrieval.

Geezer.

Sorry Fitz, yeh just static data retrieval, no website, no Windows server.

Yes Admiral, no remote desktop, just data browse, transfer and retrieval.

Geezer.

still need some more info here Geezer:

"no windows server" "no website"

* if there is "no windows server", what OS are you running on your home server?
* If there is "no website", why are you talking about using IE to connect?

The basic connection still remains, how are you trying to connect to your computer at home?

Wait, are you just trying to connect to it via a regular SMB share (ie: \\<ipaddress>\<sharename>)? If so:

1) I doubt your work will allow you to browse remote server shares this way through their firewall.
2) If your home server is exposed this way to do file sharing over the internet, stop doing it that way. At the very least, setup a secured FTPS site to do file sharing with your home machine. Or go the extra mile and setup hamachi.. or at the very least, a gotomypc or logmein solution.

Johnny, taking him at what he said, "no web site" - if he's not trying to connect to a website, not sure what use a webproxy would do for me.. although it is quite possible we don't have a full picture of what/how he is trying to connect

hm .. Usually what I do is have a portable proxy on my cruise drive and use that. I am not sure if it will work with this situation though ..

Based on his address details, he is using Windows Home Server (which I use and rate) which is based off Windows sever 2003 SBE

If work is blocking you, wouldn't it be bad to try and circumvent that? If you get caught wouldn't you most likely get canned? If not ask IT. :)

Hi guys, getting a bit beyond me now! Heres what I have at home Synology DS108j server, its great, I
can connect from my iPhone using browser, but just cant connect from work, so back to my original question at top of post.

Geezer.

OK.. now things are making sense (should have just mentioned the first time you were connecting to a synology NAS device..

I'm going to assume then that you're using the web based file access built into the device.

So, now some more questions:

1) Is it behind a firewall?
2) What actually happens when you try to connect to it from work?

Hi,

1. Yes, the router firewall.

2. Takes an age to load, then says page can't be found?

SOPHOS

The web address you entered could not be found. This could be because the site is temporarily offline or because the file you requested no longer exists on the web site. Please verify that you have correctly entered the web site address and try again. If this problem persists, try browsing to the web site's home page and navigating to the file from there.

Geezer.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back