connect to Domain behind router through the internet?

T

tkole

I have a small network of 8 computers connected to the internet through a linksys BEFSR81 router. One of the computers on the network is running Win 2000 advanced server and is hosting a domain with active directory. All of the computers behind the router can log into the domain with no problems, but any computers that try to connect to the domain through the internet are unsuccessful. This is all being attempted on a university network. I have the router setup so that the domain server (win 2000 advanced server) is registered as the DMZ host. If I type the ip adress of the router into the search function on a computer outside of the local network, I can find it, and can even access files on the server, but I cannot log into the domain. Every time I try to change the domain of the computer in the network ID properties tab, it comes up as non-existent domain. What am I doing wrong?

This has to do with the sub-nets its on, and other factors.

If they are on different networks then they are not on the same subnet. 255.255.255.0 is not the subnet. This is the subnet mask. The subnet is the IP range of the network. ie 65.117.1.*

No, they are all on the same subnet. The first 3 sets of numbers are all the same. I have 4 ips on the same subnet. I took one and connected it to the WAN port of a router. One of the routers clients is a domain server. I have the router set so that the ip of the domain server (192.168.1.2) is the DMZ host. If I search for the ip of the router from another computer on the same subnet, I can find it and access the files on the domain server, because I have the domain server as the DMZ host. However, if I instead tell that computer to join the domain that is hosted by the domain server, it cannot find it.

One thing.... It is really not a good Idea to have your domain server in a DMZ.

Two...By putting it in the DMZ you have seperated it from your internal network.

Move it off of the DMZ and make sure it has a static IP. If you need to host a web page or some other server(something you do not want to do on a Domain Server) the just forward that port to the proper IP.

But how do I enable other computers on the subnet to log into the domain. Are there certain ports that I have to forward to the domain server?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back