connect 2 pc using gateway

B

Bretenn

hmm, i'm have 2 pc which run win98 and winxp. HOw to connect it using a gateway (for internet connection)?? is it just connect the parralel cable to both pc?? what else should i do??

I take it you mean a router (the more common term)? Just connect one CAT5 cable fro each computer to the LAN side of the router. Then connect your DSL/Cable/whatever to the WAN port of the router.

If you want the Windows XP box to be an Internet Gateway, you need to enable Internet Connection Sharing on that box, and set it up as the ICS host.

Connect the Win98 box to the XP box via a crossover-cable, and set it up to automatically obtain an IP address from the gateway. The XP box acts as a DHCP server and auto-assigns an IP address to the 98 box.

Originally posted by Bretenn
no it is an internet gateway...
A router IS an internet gateway....

Do you mean like Netryder said? If not a diagram, link or any details would help.

Originally posted by Zedric
A router IS an internet gateway....

Right :D
My DI-704P router calls itself a "Residential Gateway" ... but I prefer to call it a router myself.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back