Confirmed: PlayStation 3 will ship with 60 GB HDD

tdinc

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
Via Joystiq.com:

To clear any confusion, a Sony representative, speaking with Yahoo! Games, has confirmed that the PS3 will ship with a 60 GB HDD, with an option to upgrade. No PS3 bundles will be sold without a hard drive. However, it's unclear if by upgrading, purchasers will have the option to buy the console with a larger hard drive, or if they'll be forced take the 60 GB HDD and buy an additional, larger drive separately—we guess the latter (at least, at launch), but aren't ruling out the possibility of two bundles with different sized hard drives (for example, 60 GB and 100 GB bundles).

Overall, standardizing the consoles to include a hard drive benefits both developers and consumers. But we're still left wondering if the asking price will be out of the range of a significant percentage of potential buyers.

That's pretty cool I guess - but isn't that a waste of space if you can't save an entire game to your hard drive legally?

May be a dumb question, haven't been following this much...

That's an awesome decision.

I was personally pissed off at MS to not keep the HD standard, as last gen they couldn't shutup about the benefits of including a HD in every unit.

Chief: There are many benefits, including saving money on a mem card.

Yeah I understand that, but 60GB of saved games? I'm just shocked because Sony is already losing enough money due to the BluRay drives being in there.

Has the final pricing been set in stone yet? I would assume if not, that could potentially raise the final price

kcnychief said:
Yeah I understand that, but 60GB of saved games? I'm just shocked because Sony is already losing enough money due to the BluRay drives being in there.

Has the final pricing been set in stone yet? I would assume if not, that could potentially raise the final price

That was just an example, but other examples could include music, movies, etc.

Sony is calling this a computer, not a console.

I wouldn't complain as long as the price is the same as a 360 ;)

IMHO I feel that the "core" based ps3 will be around $399 one controller and a demo disc. and then some kind of bundled pack with the two controllers and memory sticks..but who really knows...I just want mine!...and my MGS4!!

i love the idea though of the HD as a standard..nice :)

I didn't think about movies and music - mah bad.

How big is the HD in the XBOX 360 currently - and doesn't it only come with the premium pack?

Hmmm...Interesting, what is the price point going to be set at? With a Blu-ray drive and a 60g harddrive as well as an installable 100 g hd. This is going beyond the 360 pricing

tdinc said:
IMHO I feel that the "core" based ps3 will be around $399 one controller and a demo disc. and then some kind of bundled pack with the two controllers and memory sticks..but who really knows...I just want mine!...and my MGS4!!

i love the idea though of the HD as a standard..nice :)

Seriously, I'd buy one just for MGS4. Huge Metal Gear fanboy :D

It could'nt be a small form factor could it? With everything that is going in it, blu-ray, removable hd (min. 60g) and the graphics processor as well as the cell cpu, this is going to be one hot machine.

up until they actually release the unit, expect all the game development to be in-house, so you are looking at a Sony exclusive library not 3rd party develpoed games, no?

It'll have a large majority of the 360 games on it (particularly ones that are released on multiple platforms like sports games), with the exception of a handful of exclusive titles, that each console has.

falconguard: They send out devkits to third parties ;)

but does anybody have a working cell cpu that they can test it on? Or for thatmatter how about an industrial blu-ray?

Nah, the ones right now are no where near the full capability of what the final unit will be.

The developers will be creating basic versions of their games.

It's how they made games on the 360. If I remember correct, they didn't have full powered 360 dev kits until 2-3 months before the 360 came out.

just read more info on this at "1up".........The HD will use Linux. :)

Ken Kutaragi, president of Sony Computer Entertainment He did offer some tantalizing new details about the system, though. PS3 will include a 60GB hard drive (which is upgradeable) with Linux preinstalled. According to Kutaragi, developers should create games for the PS3 with assumption the hard drive will be present in the system (his slide was titled "HDD is required!"). He also revealed that the system will be backwards compatible with the entire PS1 and PS2 libraries, and that games will be displayed in high-definition resolutions when played on the PS3 (similar to what the Xbox 360 does with compatible Xbox 1 titles).

story link

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back