Configuring Windows 2000 Server edition for HL

Punkrulz

Somewhat eXPerienced
Hey guys,

Hoping you network guru's can help me. I've been recruited by my friends to try and figure out what is up with our server. We currently have our own dedicated server being run from Server Beach, it's Windows 2000 Server edition. I was poking around on it, and some of the obvious things are the fact that it could use a Windows Update, and the fact that it is running a good deal of services half of which it probably doesn't even need.

We are going to be using this for starters as a HL-Day of Defeat server. The major complaint is that when we run HLDS the pings are outrageous on the server, and we are trying to troubleshoot that. Can you guys point me in several directions that will be able to help us bring the pings down? I need to get this done ASAP so any advice would be good advice pretty much.

If you want any other information, I'll be glad to give it to you, but all I know is that it is a Windows 2000 Server box with AMD Athlon XP 3000+ and a gig or more of memory...

Thanks in advanced!

-Punkrulz

i take it you are connecting from outside of the network for the pings to be spiked so bad, i would check the routing that its going through. If it pings fast then i would think that something in the firewall being used maybe blocking to many packets going out or something, but i am not sure. Never tried a HL server

www.blackviper.com is good for that. Also I think theres an issue with QSORVP or somthing (not quiet sure of the name) that cuts bandwith by half, it's one of the services I believe, not sure. Also create a power user for general use, there is a lot less logging in a power user than being a general admin. I remember using Windows 2000 Server, it does have a lot of overhead.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back