Condemned: Criminal Origins

inakaotaku

OSNN Addict
Just finished playing the demo for this game, so sweet, lots of bludgeoning transients with objects not primarily designated as weapons (a.k.a "die hobo junkie at the hand of my rustily nailed 2x4!"). I'm gonna get myself a copy for PC, methinks. Anyone played the full game? How is it? Demo is here: http://www.condemnedgame.com/

I picked up a copy of Condemned, I didn't realize that it'd been out for the 360 for a while. It's SO good, if you are into the dark, gritty, scary as hell vibe. It's made on the FEAR engine, too, so yeah, quality gameplay, not just sick graphics. My favorite moment so far was when I tore a locker door off its hinges and bashed a junkie hobo to death with it. Got out a lot of high school angst in that moment.

I have it, but I've been pretty annoyed (teetering on angry) at both Monolith and Creative Labs, since they disabled hardware sound acceleration for VIA's Envy chipsets and Realtek's sound chipsets.

Creative is engaging in some of the most monopolistic practices (relative to their industry) that I've ever seen. I'm missing out on half the enjoyment of the game because I can't play it with surround sound.

Aside from only being able to play in stereo, it's a great game. The start-stop action and suspense mix is nice. You never really feel safe wherever you go!

Petros said:
I have it, but I've been pretty annoyed (teetering on angry) at both Monolith and Creative Labs, since they disabled hardware sound acceleration for VIA's Envy chipsets and Realtek's sound chipsets.

Creative is engaging in some of the most monopolistic practices (relative to their industry) that I've ever seen. I'm missing out on half the enjoyment of the game because I can't play it with surround sound.

Aside from only being able to play in stereo, it's a great game. The start-stop action and suspense mix is nice. You never really feel safe wherever you go!

Preach it brother! :lick:

Yeah I played the demo, nice next gen title, like the forensics!

Hmm. Looks interesting. I'll try it, I guess. I hadn't heard of this for 360, but I guess I don't pay attention to consoles much.

I am downloading the Full Game Demo :) If its any good I will go out and buy it. Not to sure about the "scare the Shiat outta me" genre.

Aprox said:
I am downloading the Full Game Demo :) If its any good I will go out and buy it. Not to sure about the "scare the Shiat outta me" genre.

Heh, I hear you. I am really into that genre, but I have to say that Condemned has merit without the scariness. Mostly what hooked me on the game is the whole "use anything as a weapon" deal. Anyone who's played: do you know what you get if you collect all the metal pieces and dead birds?

it's kinda Fear-ish (think mostly cause it was made off the Fear engine). fun too.

I have played it a bit now, I think its well done, however the player models are horrid...

I agree that being able to use a wide variety of items as melee weapons is a real blast :)

sadly you still can't use "Everything" as a weapon. can only use certain pipes.... certain boards..... certain other stuff. using EVERYTHING as a weapon would be like picking some of the really long pieces of pipe up off the shelves and using it as a staff...... not pulling a short pipe out of a stack of long pipes.

If you could use anything, that would have made it a lot more fun. I'd be hosing baddies in the eyes with chemicals from the shelf, cutting them with shards of glass, and replacing the "Snap, Punch, Ram, Kick" options with "Stuff steel bolt in trachea".

Mostly, I wanted to use the duct tape. TAKE THAT FREAKS! HOW ARE YA GONNA GET THAT OUT OF YOUR HAIR, HUH? I would be declare myself the Lord of the Minor Inconvenience.

By the way, since I got my M-Audio Revolution 7.1, I can now use hardware sound and EAX 2.0. Woot. I turned of EAX but didn't hear much of a difference.

heh..... yeah. one thing a friend of mine and i wish you could do in the game is actually THROW the weapons..... like the fire axes you get..... just take a running start and lob it towards the baddies head..... watch it stick there and see the dude slowly fall over.... kinda like in the little CG sequence near the end of the Doom movie.

Oh wow... Yeah, being able to throw the various weapons (locker door, for example, to put someone off guard or distract them) would be really cool...

It'd also emphasize the claustrophobic parts of the game, i think.

Petros said:
Mostly, I wanted to use the duct tape. TAKE THAT FREAKS! HOW ARE YA GONNA GET THAT OUT OF YOUR HAIR, HUH? I would be declare myself the Lord of the Minor Inconvenience.

rofl! Heh, absolutely. Or you chould just duct tape their hands behind their backs and then duct tape their nose and mouth shut if you wanted to majorly inconvenience them.... My question is: where did all these random junkie hobos come from? Where are the normal people?

Shh. Don't kill the illusion of reality!

...More to the point, I have no idea. Though later in the game, it's no longer just junkie hobos you're fighting...

Yeah, but those characters I don't often encounter in my daily life either... the mannequins.... *shudder*

Yeah, get the game, I have it for PC, sharp graphics, Gritty, raw, in-your-face melee combat. It just gets better. Massive brawls in backalleys. I love how they get PO'ed when they accidentally shoot/bash eachother. They just start letting the blows fly! Blood, gore, crunching sinew.. So good... so good...

That and Sin Episodes has been a real fun romp. Headshots in that are a blast! Lol... yeah I don't think lame puns are funny either..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back