Computer won't power on at all...

vivid_vibe

OSNN Senior Addict
Out of the blue the other night, my computer just turned off. Now it won't power back up. I swapped the power supply with a known working one and it does the same thing. I tried disconnecting all devices except cpu and ram and it won't power on. I even tried each stick of ram separately (there are two) to no avail. I made sure the power-on wire was seated firmly on the mobo, it was. I didn't smell any odors such as burning, etc. The CPU wasn't overly hot or anything prior to that. When I do hit the power switch, briefly just for an instant, I see the CPU activity light flicker, but nothing else happens. Please guys, I need some advice on what to do next. I'm thinking it may be a bad mobo, but I'm not completely sure. I hope it's nothing serious, such as a fried CPU. Thanks alot.

vivid

to me it sounds like a cpu failure

Try taking out the CPU and powering on, it should still come on. If it doesn't, it's the CPU, I've seen it happen before.

If its an ATX the cpu needs to be in to power on as it controls a power line??

hmmmhmmm, you tell is brother, preach it brother aaaaaamen!!

Here's a nice diagram to rule out the power supply :)

power.gif

Jay, you may be right, it may have been an AT not an ATX that worked w/out the CPU.

Vivid, also, try this -- take out the mobo, put it on a static-free object, plug in the cpu, memory and power supply and see if it turns on. If it does, put in the video card and see if you get video. If this works then you have a short somewhere between your mobo and case.

By the way -- if you've been turning your pc on and off while trying to fix it, and the CPU fan hasn't been turning on with it, you may or may not have already fried the CPU. Turning on the power w/out the CPU fan working (even for a few seconds) is enough to fry it.

Fimchick, thanks for all of your suggestions. I'm off to try some of them now.

vivid

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back