Computer trying to explode (maybe)

Ohzopants

My mom thinks I'm cool
I have no idea what to make of my latest computer challenge: :confused:

My computer keeps making this really strange clicking noise. It's not like any other clicking noise I've ever heard (not caused by something spinning). It produces single isolated clicks, at no regular interval. They don't appear to happen when I'm doing one particular thing. It's very random and worrisome.

I suspect my power supply; when I bought my computer about 2 years ago I paid no particular attention to what kind of power supply I bought. My setup is as follows so maybe someone can tell me if it's in any way excessive for a cheap power supply:

Motherboard: Asus A7V333
Processor: Athlon XP 1800+
RAM: 1024 MB PC2700 (256+256+512)
Vid Card: ATI Radeon 8500 All-In-Wonder
HDD1: Maxtor 40 GB 7200 RPM
HDD2: Quantum 6 GB 5400 RPM
Optical drive 1: LG DVD drive
Optical drive 2: LG DVD/CD writer
Case fans: 1 front, 2 back (18mm)
CPU fan: Something by Volcano
Sound Card: Sound blaster Live Value
Plus a standard floppy drive and NIC.

open it up and turn it on then try to hear where its coming from? just don't cut ur ear on the fans...LOLZ! its happened to me before.

first off.. disconnect all your fans... cept your cpu fan of course :)

and ensure the fans you have not disconnected do not have ANY wires near them that might accidently be clicking aganst them..

fire it up and see if the clicks are there...

if they are in might well be your hdd :(

After that unplug the case speaker and the external speakers. See if the noise goes away.

BTW how often does it occur? And are you sure it's from the PC and not the monitor? In the monitor it could be the high voltage arc'ing over.

And make sure there is no dust build up on your cpu fan. The dust is enough to unbalance a 5000 rpm fan and make the blades clip the sides.

First instinct would be the Quantum drive as it is a 6 GB drive which means it is probably older. If you have access to a stethoscope it would help you to diagnose it. The "clicking" could be slight sparking in your power supply so I would give that a listen as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back