Computer To Computer

S

Sazz

Hiya,

I know its possible to im between two computers on a network.
I am on a network and was wondering how i could do this because i have forgotten.
Dont know if theres any extra info you would need but both computers are using XP and netgear networking hardware.

Thanks. :)

if they are both connected to internet you can im back and forth with messenger or aim

if just local try winchat, its built into windows just go to start/run/ and type "winchat" on both computers
a chat window will open put in name of other computer on one.... off you go

Or use Net Send messages

Start->Run "Net Send Computername Type Your Message"

Replce Computername with the name of the computer it is to be sent to. Replace Computername with the workgroup name to broadcast a message to all computers on the LAN

I didn't read it right the first time and thought he was trying to network Computer to Computer, not im

JJB

huh:confused: which one is it?

Replce Computername with the name of the computer it is to be sent to. Replace Computername with the workgroup name to broadcast a message to all computers on the LAN

or do you have to actually type in both?

Originally posted by vdubVR6
huh:confused: which one is it?

or do you have to actually type in both?

computer name if its one computer
computer's work group if its multiple computers
rite???...hehe....i think:D

Net Send

Sends messages to other users, computers, or messaging names on the network.

Syntax
net send{name | * | /domain[:name] | /users} message

Parameters
name
Specifies the user name, computer name, or messaging name to which you want to send the message. If the information that you supply contains spaces, use quotation marks around the text (for example, "Computer Name"). Long user names might cause problems when you use them as NetBIOS names. NetBIOS names are limited to 16 characters, and the sixteenth character is reserved.
Sends the message to all the names in your domain or workgroup.
/domain:name
Sends the message to all the names in the computer's domain. You can specify name to send the message to all the names in the specified domain or workgroup.
/users
Sends the message to all users connected to the server.
Required. Specifies the text of the message.
net help command
Displays help for the specified net command.
Remarks
You can send a message only to a name that is active on the network. If you send the message to a user name, that user must be logged on and running the Messenger service to receive the message.
You can broadcast a message to all of the names in your computer's domain (use * or /domain), or a different domain (/domain:DomainName). Broadcast messages can contain up to 128 characters. Use discretion when you send messages to multiple users.
/users lets you send a message to all users who have sessions with the server. Use discretion when you send messages to multiple users.
The Messenger service must be running for messages to be received. For more information about how to start a service, see Related Topics.
Examples
To send the message "Meeting changed to 3 P.M. Same place." to the user robertf, type:

net send robertf Meeting changed to 3 P.M. Same place.

To send a message to all users connected to the server, type:

net send /users This server will shut down in 5 minutes.

To send a message that includes a slash mark (/), type:

net send robertf "Format your disk with FORMAT /4"

put net send in help search and will yeald infowinchat

Using Windows Chat in Windows XP
The information in this article applies to:
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Chat Overview
You can use Windows Chat on your computer to communicate with someone on another computer. Both computers must be connected to the same network (for example, a local area network [LAN] or the Internet). Also, each computer must be running a similar protocol, such as TCP/IP.

Chat is interactive. You see a reply to your messages as the other person types it. The Chat window is separated into two panes: one contains the messages you send, and the other contains the messages you receive.

To Start Windows Chat
Click Start, and then click Run.
Type winchat, and then press ENTER.
To Make a Chat Call
On the Conversation menu, click Dial.
Click the computer name, or type the computer name, for the person with whom you want to chat, and then click OK.
When the person with whom you want to chat answers the call, begin typing in the Chat window. You cannot begin typing until the person you are calling answers.
If the person you are calling does not answer, or you want to end the call, click Hang Upon the Conversation menu.
The messages from the person with whom you are chatting appear in the lower pane or the right pane, depending on how your Chat window is arranged.
To Answer a Call
To answer a call, click Chat, which appears on the taskbar when someone uses Chat to call your computer. Or, if your Chat window is already open, click Answer on the Conversation menu.

Note that you must have Chat running or have the Network DDE service started to answer a call. To start the Network DDE service:
Click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click Administrative Tools.
Double-click Computer Management, double-click Services and Applications, and then double-click Services.
In the Details pane, click Network DDE.
On the Action menu, click Start.
To have the Network DDE service start automatically every time you start your computer:
Click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click Administrative Tools.
Double-click Computer Management, double-click Services and Applications, and then double-click Services.
In the Details pane, click Network DDE.
On the Action menu, click Properties.
On the General tab, in Startup type, select Automatic, and then click OK.

use net meeting, it's easy. one pc must be the host, then you can add to this session the other pcs on your lan. (i use this on mi lan with 6 pcs)
sorry my english :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back