Computer terms offensive??

leedogg

Gojyone kawaiiiiiiii!
What do you guys think? Are the uses of the terms Master and Slave offensive? Do you think states should restrict and force a change in hardware terminology or do you think this is just more meaningless PC b.s.?

yes this is a real issue

I have just got off the phone with my lawyer - I am filing a lawsuit to stop the electronic industry from using the terms "male" and "female" for connectors. These are by far too sexuallly explicit (descriptive) to be used in the "bible belt" of Mississippi!:rolleyes:

umm...BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA now I've seen it all. That link is awesome!

Cotton pickin' hard drives...

Instead of hiring lawyers, they should hire mercenaries and send them to Africa to kill slave owners--the majority of whom are black, btw. Slavery is slavery, no matter who is the master or the slave.

Also, we should ban anything related to the Spanish language, because they still say "negro".

omfg I have seen it all now, this is the kind of shiz that happens when a country is practically ruled by lawyers. I think Richard the 3rd had it right when he said "First thing, lets kill all the lawyers"

think it was richard the 3rd anyways

Yeah, right, let's call it something it's not, because some idiot who doesn't now sheit about it connects it to a completely different issue and is offended by it. Pathetic.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
- Albert Einstein

yee...I just heard about this on irc. At the time I laughed and went omg!

But now I realised that no one really cares.

I saw that article on the CNN website today after reading this thread. Stuff like that irritates me. I have no patience for ignorance.

Don't forget about all the plumbers that carry and handle nipples all day.

Originally posted by Leo154
yee...I just heard about this on irc. At the time I laughed and went omg!

But now I realised that no one really cares.

Lots a politically correct peep out there that dont have anything better to do(w/our lives)...but to change our laws...for their idiotic touchy-feely agendas.

The inmates truly are runnin the asylum! :p

but...but...think of all the enslaved hard drives out there! Surely somebody must care? ;)

I'm not convinced this article is legit

I searched the site with the internal search engine, can't find this article anywhere using this search engine

then I went to my google toolbar, searched the current site for this atticle...google can't find it either

also, if you view the source from an identicle header from the site authentic site, it's written entirely differantly

to wit, the article;

Code:
<!--include virtual="/m/inc/story.inc"-->

<!--- NOPIC TEMPLATE --->

the legit site;

Code:
<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Technology & Science Front Page</TITLE>
<script language=javascript>

the url looks good though, so I can't be certain.

but I'd like to see it on the site independantly

Heres one from Reuters:

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Los Angeles officials have asked that manufacturers, suppliers and contractors stop using the terms "master" and "slave" on computer equipment, saying such terms are unacceptable and offensive.

The request -- which has some suppliers furious and others busy re-labeling components -- came after an unidentified worker spotted a videotape machine carrying devices labeled "master" and "slave" and filed a discrimination complaint with the county's Office of Affirmative Action Compliance.

In the computer industry, "master" and "slave" are used to refer to primary and secondary hard disk drives. The terms are also used in other industries.

"Based on the cultural diversity and sensitivity of Los Angeles County, this is not an acceptable identification label," Joe Sandoval, division manager of purchasing and contract services, said in a memo sent to County vendors.

"We would request that each manufacturer, supplier and contractor review, identify and remove/change any identification or labeling of equipment components that could be interpreted as discriminatory or offensive in nature," Sandoval said in the memo, which was distributed last week and made available to Reuters.

The memo did not include any suggestions for alternative labels.

Dennis Tafoya, director of the affirmative action office, said in a separate memo that an "exhaustive search" had been undertaken to find all such labels and replace them with more "appropriate" ones. A form was sent to all departments to identify equipment carrying the labels "master" and "slave" or any other offensive terms.

Faced with an avalanche of complaints from vendors and the general public, Sandoval told Reuters in an interview that his memo was intended as "nothing more than a request" and not an ultimatum or policy change.

"I do understand that this term has been an industry standard for years and years and this is nothing more than a plea to vendors to see what they can do," he said. "It appears that some folks have taken this a little too literally."

Sandoval said that he had already rejected a suggestion that the county stop buying all equipment carrying the "master" and "slave" labels and had no intention of enforcing a ban on such terms with suppliers.

"But we are culturally sensitive and we have 90,000 employees," he said. "We have to take these things seriously."

Sandoval added that in addition to the e-mails he's received "telling me how stupid I am and how I should be fired" he has gotten a positive response from some companies willing to reexamine their labels.

In June, the Los Angeles city council unanimously passed a law requiring that any companies doing business with the city disclose profits they may have made from slavery in the 19th Century. In 2000, the council supported federal legislation seeking reparations for descendants of slaves.

Originally posted by damnyank
I have just got off the phone with my lawyer - I am filing a lawsuit to stop the electronic industry from using the terms "male" and "female" for connectors. These are by far too sexuallly explicit (descriptive) to be used in the "bible belt" of Mississippi!:rolleyes:

Amen!:cool:

do people even realize that "master" and "slave" are normal, accepted words in the english language? and in the dictionary, "slave" does NOT have a picture of a black guy next to it!

Here's what to do if you want to stay out of trouble: don't say anything, don't write anything, don't look at anyone, and just to be safe... don't go around people at all. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by kitct
Lots a politically correct peep out there that dont have anything better to do(w/our lives)...but to change our laws...for their idiotic touchy-feely agendas.

The inmates truly are runnin the asylum! :p

:confused:

alot of hard words there.

Originally posted by muzikool
Here's what to do if you want to stay out of trouble: don't say anything, don't write anything, don't look at anyone, and just to be safe... don't go around people at all. :rolleyes:
Hmm, I don't know. Then people will think you're a goof and up to no good, gather up a mob and go lynch you. Terrific. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back