computer startup problem

F

freesoul23

couple days ago while i worked on computer he stoped to react, the screen gone black, the reset button wouldn't work, the power button wouldn't work, i took the power cable out and put it back and then tried to power up the computer, the fans works but the screen still black, and there is no sound that computer is starting up, i changed the screen and changed the video card but it didn't help,i tried different PSU it didn't help either, i took all the parts out, except the cpu, and tried to power up the computer but still it didn't help and i didn't heard sound beaps, so i was sure the motherboard is dead so i put all the parts back and powered up the computer and for my surprise it worked, i tried couple times to turn off and turn on it worked so i put back the last part(network card) and powered up the computer and it stoped working again(black screen,no start up sound), so i was sure it because of a network card, so i took the card away but it didn't help, i gave the computer rest for a couple of hours and again it started to work but after a couple of minutes the screen gone black and computer stoped reacting, i noticed that my dvdrom reacts(he opens) if i pull out the IDE cable, but stop reacting when i put the IDE cable back.

i'm open to any ideas

Most likely the MB has shifted a little and the case mounting screws are shorting something on the MB. When you put a card in or out it shifts the MB around enough to cause or fix the problem.

Take the cards out. Loosen the MB screws, center the screw heads on the MB pads and then thighten them all down. Now put it together again.

If that does not work pull the MB out of the case, sit it on a cardboard box and put the cards in. If it works that way then the problem is a case to MB short. You will have to look at the case mounts and the bottom of the MB to see if you can find a problem are. If you do put a peice of scotch or electrical tape over it.

Most likely the MB has shifted a little and the case mounting screws are shorting something on the MB. When you put a card in or out it shifts the MB around enough to cause or fix the problem.

Take the cards out. Loosen the MB screws, center the screw heads on the MB pads and then thighten them all down. Now put it together again.

If that does not work pull the MB out of the case, sit it on a cardboard box and put the cards in. If it works that way then the problem is a case to MB short. You will have to look at the case mounts and the bottom of the MB to see if you can find a problem are. If you do put a peice of scotch or electrical tape over it.

tried that, didn't help.

Did you ground yourself and the case before touching the components? It sounds like there is something wrong with your motherboard... If it still didn't work outside of the case, you probably burned something on your board. This would still allow the fans to work sometimes.

I have seen where a loose connector 24/20 pin to the motherboard has caused something like what you are talking about.

... and again it started to work but after a couple of minutes the screen gone black and computer stoped reacting, i noticed that my dvdrom reacts(he opens) if i pull out the IDE cable, but stop reacting when i put the IDE cable back.

i'm open to any ideas

I know English is not your mother tongue, but actually your description works for me apart from one part where you say "he stoped to react" - which I am taking to mean the computer went COMPLETELY DEAD - ie power buttong brought NO reaction as in no fans, no lights, no HD and no POST.... So first off let us know if how I read that is correct.

Secondly the part I quoted above (highlighted) makes me wonder if you are using XP and if at the point when the computer "stoped reacting" after correct operation you simply got a black out or a BSOD (or anything else if you are running other OS or only getting so far as BIOS config or something....

Oh yeah last but not least could you give us a specs rundown for the machine in question?

MY first bet is total or intermittent PSU failure - second guess mobo intermittent fault, but this is dubious because of overall stuff mentioned already....

the 20/24 header is a good hunch (loose wires to just ONE of the rails!) Also for the drive - swap your IDE cable/s and even move primary secondary around just to see if all is well....

after you have done all actions and supplied all info - post back what you get....

only then can we help further... GL (sounds like you'll need some :p)

I know English is not your mother tongue, but actually your description works for me apart from one part where you say "he stoped to react" - which I am taking to mean the computer went COMPLETELY DEAD - ie power buttong brought NO reaction as in no fans, no lights, no HD and no POST.... So first off let us know if how I read that is correct.

Secondly the part I quoted above (highlighted) makes me wonder if you are using XP and if at the point when the computer "stoped reacting" after correct operation you simply got a black out or a BSOD (or anything else if you are running other OS or only getting so far as BIOS config or something....

Oh yeah last but not least could you give us a specs rundown for the machine in question?

MY first bet is total or intermittent PSU failure - second guess mobo intermittent fault, but this is dubious because of overall stuff mentioned already....

the 20/24 header is a good hunch (loose wires to just ONE of the rails!) Also for the drive - swap your IDE cable/s and even move primary secondary around just to see if all is well....

after you have done all actions and supplied all info - post back what you get....

only then can we help further... GL (sounds like you'll need some :p)

you right english is not my mother tongue,
when i said that computer stoped to react i meant, he still was on but screen gone black, dvdrom open button didn't worked,computer reset and power button didn't do nothing

second part,i'm using XP and the computer stoped to react in windows, but next time when computer was able to power up it stoped to react in bios, and next time while loading, so there is no special point when it stoping to react.

i have P4IBAS
cpu 1.6Ghz

i tried different PSU it didn't helped

could we have specs of the two PSUs and ALL the hardware please....
and is a P4IBAS a mobo or what? oh no heck - you have only given us the CPU spec...

when I said spec....

I mean something like what you are reading in my signature... You know the part that says "the spec" hehe :p

post again - I still suspect your PSU's - both of them! :p

could we have specs of the two PSUs and ALL the hardware please....
and is a P4IBAS a mobo or what? oh no heck - you have only given us the CPU spec...

when I said spec....

I mean something like what you are reading in my signature... You know the part that says "the spec" hehe :p

post again - I still suspect your PSU's - both of them! :p

the second PSU that i tried is PSU that i using on this computer(which i writing from) and he is 100% working:HEC-400AR-TF

MotherBoard:p4IBAS 82801BA
CPU:intel p4 1.6Ghz
RAM:512 SDRAM(2x128,1x256)
HD:80G 7200,40G 5400
Video Card:powerColor 9600 PRO
PSU:EAGLE DR-A300ATX
Case:No idea(E-star)

i hope i didn't forgot something

i have update from the war zone,
so after i didn't touch the computer for 20h i decided to try again to turn it on(PSU+mobo+CPU+RAM+Video Card+SCREEN), i turned it on and it worked, i was able to enter BIOS, i decided to leave the computer on to check if it will keep working but after 3-4 minutes the screen gone black and nothing was happening so i took the power cable out and tried to power up the computer again but it back to the same situation as it was-black screen no beeps

Last edited:
I still suspect your suspicious PSUs as I said - the eagle 300 should be thrown away and the no name 400 whilst apparently good enough and in use elsewhere seems to have issues also - that and/or RAM

try memtest - google memtest86 and make bootable floppy or ISO and use it for at least eight clean sweeps (IE about 12 hours straight I think)

with a definitely sound PSU - make it Tagan to please Lord(ofLA)

and Lord only knows what Tagan brand may be called wherever you hail from (IE the country you live in!)

anyone else care to post to second my opinion or offer their own?

The computer is working for now, i connected the HD with OS and tried to get to the windows, but the computer keeps reseting itself just before the windows XP logo should appear

The 300W PS should be enough for your PC. It is what I used with a similar computer.

You need to make a change to the windows settings so it will show you the fault instead of resetting. I will post some of the instructions below but it would be best for you to go to windows help and support, type in "fatal error" and read the whole explanation.

When you get some error results after a crash post them back here and someone can help you understand them.

You must be logged on as an administrator
  1. Open System in Control Panel.
  2. On the Advanced tab, under Startup and Recovery, click Settings.
  3. Under System Failure, select the check boxes that correspond to the actions you want Windows to perform if a Stop error occurs:
    • Write an event to the system log specifies that event information will be recorded in the system log.
  4. Under Write Debugging Information, choose the type of information you want Windows to record when the system stops unexpectedly:
    • Small Memory Dump records the smallest amount of information that will help identify the problem. This option requires a paging file of at least 2 MB on the boot volume of your computer and specifies that Windows will create a new file each time the system stops unexpectedly.

the computer worked for about 20 minuts but now it dead again(i mean fans working but screen is black and no beeps from speaker)

so i don't know why it's happening

Just because it's 300W doesn't mean anything. You have to check the amperage rating on the +12V and +5VDV rails. Since the comp kicked out when the XP logo should come up it may not be getting enough power. Also, have you checked for overheating as this could cause a reboot.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back