Computer starting up on it's own

mac1

OSNN Addict
Hi all
I have a old computer running Win Me and it keeps starting up on it's own. (very x-files).
does anybody know what could be causing this, would disabling hibernation in the bios help. "just thought of that".

err, maybe a 14lb hammer would do the trick. :)

Mac

I had a old Win95 PC that would boot on it's own at random. It didn't even have a modem in it and there was no wierd on modem power on setting in the BIOS. I never did determine what caused it, but it was very creepy. I just started turing off the power bar.

look in the bios for all wake up options.. See if one of those fist your problem. Like he said a modem or Lan can power on a computer if set up to do this.

plus open it up and check all your jumper settings as well as all connections to your computer. last put least if the pwoer supply is cheap/old try using a diffrent one.

tell me what happens.

I disabled acpi and wake up on lang in the bios and that's seemed to do the trick, the thing's been sitting there for about 6hrs now and it dinin't start up once.

thanks guys for the help.
mac

Some older systems are not compatible with MS's implementation of ACPI. Just have to set it to Standard PC, so you get the "It is now safe to shut off your computer" screen like back in the old days.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back