computer running slow.

P

PlagueWielder

Hey

A couple days ago my computer started to go slow. Whenever I right-click on items it takes about 15 seconds for the menu to load (it used to take a second), and when I click on the icons in the taskbar it also takes about 15 seconds to load the menu. I ran Speed Disk and it didnt fix the problem.

I think it came from either one of 2 things:

1. I changed my logonui and then changed it back and then used Logon Sudio to change it again.

2. I used viper's (a site for tweaking, dont have the link) services page and disabled a lot of services.

If you want Ill post a picture of the services.msc.
I dont have any viruses or spyware.

Also, my Samurize script takes a lot of time to load and its really really small (one picture and cpu, ram, hd space.... not anything fancy).

Anyone know how to speed up my comp to what it used to?

Thanks

You might have alot of programs in the backround running. Try closing everything you dont need then try again to see if it is still slow.

The logonui either works or it does not. It will not slow anything down.
Probably you disabled one service too much. Not sure however which one would be related to the context menus. Just post what you changed.
Or restore the default services settings and only change one or two services at a time. See what happens.

The only programs that I have running in the background are NAV 2003, Samurize and Yz Dock.

As for the services, here are the pictures of the services.msc:

services 1.jpg

Services 2.jpg

See if u can find anything thats related to my problems.

Edit: I also uninstalled IIS, if that helps.

Thanks again

just a thought, but have you scanned for viruses lately?

i know the nimbda virus can cause general system slowdowns.

well somtimes my computer acts like a butt and runs slow but then after I restart it starts going fast again. just try restarting when ever it goes slow and tell me what happens

see if you can list your system specs as well... perhaps its just your pc doesn;t have the juice to handle multi-tasking..

run some program like ad-aware or spybot to see if there are any hidden background apps running... stuff like that..

:)

there's your problem

see all the services that have started > a lot of them have been disabled

reset em to their original configuration

you did make a note of the original settings ?????

you've tweaked windows into stupid mode

IMHO blkviper is too clever for his own good

for every service you disable thats a part of XP that no longer functions properly > resulting in lowered performance as XP struggles to maintain its integrity

:cool:

If I were to restart everytime it went slow I wouldnt be posting right now.

There isnt anything in the background except that programs I said above.

Here are my specs:

Win XP SP1
AMD T-Bird 1 GHz
384 MB DDR PC-2100
GF2 MX 400
SB 128 PCI

I dont think its the specs cause last week it worked at top notch and everything was fast but now its slow.

Thanks

Originally posted by TwoZigzagColt45
there's you problem

see all the services that have started > a lot of them have been disabled

reset em to their original configuration

eh ?

I disabled a whole bunch of those services on my rig too...

admittedly disabling particular ones can cause funky things to happen :D but the general thing is that you are likely to garner a performance GAIN instead of a loss when diable some useless services...

however I am with you in that resetting them to original may solve some issues... :)

Do u know which ones in particular cause I dont want to go and reset them all since most of them are stuff that I really dont need?

Thanks

Originally posted by Sazar
eh ?

I disabled a whole bunch of those services on my rig too...

have a look through your services > see if any are running & have been disabled

when a service has been disabled and XP forces it to start its gonna cause problems

honest > been there done that > its not a good idea

TwoZigzagColt45, I see what u are talking about. Thats a picture I took right after I finished tweaking the services and thats why the disabled ones are running. I just checked now and everything that is running is either set to Manual or Automatic.

edit

try enabling the services that were running previously

:huh:

dunno which servce it is > same has happened to me

ended up doing a repair install to get XP running normally

here are the new captures I just took now. See, all the disabled ones are not running.

ser1.jpg

ser2.jpg

can u please compare my screenshots to yr services and tell me which ones u think that I need to enable?

thanks again

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back