Computer restarting intermittently

versionfiv

OSNN Addict
I haven't done any overclocking. I have had this computer for a little over a year. I have heard it may be either a bad cpu or failing hard drive. My system specs are below.

Pentium 4 1.9Ghz
Tyan Trinity SS2266 Motherboard
400 Watt Antec power supply
512 MB DDRAM
GeForce4Ti4400 128MB (PNY)
SoundBlaster X-Gamer 5.1
80MB Maxtor uata-133 8mb cache
120MB Maxtor uata-133 8mb cache
Generic 16x DVDROM
Pacific Digital CDRW

restarts

could be blasterworm,but need more info ,windows and are you running nortons

No, I do not have Blaster. There is no error message. It just restarts on its own, for no apparent reason. This only happens every now and then, although. I do not believe it is something overheating, it could be, since I leave my box on 24/7. Would extra cooling help? I know the GeForce can conduct quite a bit of heat.

For more information, I am running Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 1. I have all the current updates, and am running Norton Anti Virus 2002, have recently scanned (a few days ago) and nothing turned up. A virus is out of the question. I do not use those "p2p" programs such as Kazaa, or run any suspicious exe's.

Sounds like a driver issue more than a hardware problem, Hardware problems tend to freeze the system, not restart.

Right click on My Computer
Go to the advanced tab
Click Startup and Recovery
Uncheck Automatically Restart

Now when the problem occurs you will get a Blue Screen of Death instead of an autorestart.

the BSoDs are normally cryptic and not very helpful, but it might narrow down a problematic driver by telling you something.

if its a year old and always on, take the cover off the PSU and give it a good clean out.

It may be your fans, I had a similar problem

One of my fans failed, and in the bios I had my PC automatically shutdown if, fan speed dropped below a certain RMP, such an avent occured.

Perhaps...I do change my fans' speeds from time to time although. I shall check my BIOS the next time I restart. And no, no BSODs yet.

I have received this blue screen on multiple occasions since last.

---Blue Screen Message---

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

PROCESS_HAS_LOCKED PAGES

Technical Information:

***STOP: 0x00000076 (0x00000000, 0x82E36020, 0x00000002, 0x00000000)

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete

Okay,

Goto this Link at Microsoft where that have a page for troubleshooting this very STOP error.

Apparently:-
The "STOP: 0x00000076 (0xY,0xY,0xY,0xY) PROCESS_HAS_LOCKED_PAGES" error message is caused by a driver not cleaning up completely after an I/O operation.

The link also tells you how to find out what driver is causing the problem.

Good Luck

:D

I've had my computer restart and random intervals on two of my PC's. The first time, I had a **** motherboard but refused to acknowledge it and it ended up restarting all the time. It drove me to buy a Mac. When I got a PC again, I once again had a **** motherboard and it too would restart all the time (it ended up being due to third-party drivers) or freeze all the time (bad motherboard problem). Once I bought an ASUS motherboard, all was fixed.

I have since sworn to only buy Asus products.

Andre

I had similar trouble with a Gigabyte board and a Geforce 4 - Now i have an Abit, man its sweeet as a nut.

Thank you very much for your help, it turned out to be my midi man usb driver. Heh.............

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back