Computer reboots itself, and shuts down, now mouse trouble.

N

Nave

Our computer has been giving us trouble for the past 3 or 4 months. These problems happen with XP, ME, 2000, 98SE and 95... but started in XP. Computer would shut itself off after several hours, then needed to wait at least half an hour to turn it back on. Power light remains on, and fan still runs, but computer wont work, nothing on screen (keyboard lights stay on though). It also reboots itself at random. Now the computer runs anywhere from 15 minutes up til 3 hours before it shuts off. Obviously makes it very frustrating and unreliable. Hard because I use it for work as well as leisure. We have an optic mouse (Qware) that just today started freezing. I wonder if that is causing the trouble? We have replaced power cords for the pc, checked all internal wiring, gotten a new fan, its been in the shop twice to be tested. Still it continues shutting itself off and maddening us. Any suggestions/advice?

p.s. Its not a virus, we have NAV 2001 and its up to date, do a complete system scan weekly. Have formatted, and things still continue happening.

Yes and no

we have run PC Alert and it always shows the same thing. it shows two temps, one for the cpu and one for the chassis, i am sorry i cant at the moment remember which was which. it shows that one is 22c and one is 53c. It has shown that from the very first time we ran that program, and every time since. I dont think that 53c is accurate at all, otherwise the computer wouldnt continue to work for several hours, would it?

Others here might know better but, mine runs at about 48-50C when working. Seems like if it goes over that, I will freeze. But at one point(when I goofed something up), I got up around 55 or so and it just shut down. Someone else here might have more info.

oops

sorry, i meant to say we have norton anti virus 2002, not 2001. my mistake.

Definitely check your temperature. Check your power supply for proper voltage and current. A slight anamoly in either of these can cause the exact symptoms you're describing. Also check for malfunctioning memory chips.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back