computer rebooting when loading WMP9

jimi_81

OSNN Senior Addict
Political Access
hey guys...

a friend just brought his computer down for me to have a look at...he was complaining about things being slow, and he really wanted to start fresh, so we formatted, installed all of his software and did a nice little norton ghost backup image of the drive...so future installations will take minutes not hours...

anyhow, so i was running the liveupdate, getting everything set and he decides to take over the computer for a minute, and loads up media player 9, and the "Opening" screen flashes, and then bang.. black screen...reboot.

he then tells me that this problem was happening before...

i suspect it could be his video card, or ram...he not a gamer... his system is a little older... 384 megs of ram, P3 833 processor i believe... with an ATI 8500LE video card....

has anyone had this problem before?
What exactly is windows media player doing during the opening screen, i personally never use it.... is there some kind of 3d display that pulls from the video card? or could it just be chewing into a faulty chunk of ram?

thanks guys, i decided to post this because i always see good things come out of questions like this..

1) turn off auto reboots and see what the error message is
2) try running memtest86 to see if it is faulty ram

auto reboots... what service is that again?
I remember seeing a "Restart" action in the RPC section..

i will definitely run the mem program.
thanks man

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back