Computer randomly losing connection?

Punkrulz

Somewhat eXPerienced
Hey guys,

I'm running my computer through a Linksys router with my sister's computer. At one point the internet completely died out on my computer. I couldn't ping anything, I couldn't even ping my gateway. My sister's computer had no troubles what so ever. I wasn't doing anything online other than had AIM running, and I noticed it drop off. I am unable to disable and re-enable the connection, as I get the following error.

It is not possible to disable the connection at this time. This connection may be using one or more protocols that do not support Plug-and-Play, or it may have been initiated by another user or system account

I tried repairing the connection, and nothing happened. Any ideas why the connection would just DIE like that?

what protocols are enabled on your network connection at the minute

Client for Microsoft Networks
VMWare Bridge Protocol
File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
QoS Packet Scheduler
Network Monitor Driver
Internet Protocol [TCP/IP]

hrmm possibly the VMWare one, the rest are all fairly standard

As to why who knows - phase of the moon, SW companies owned by college drop outs, hardware that sells below cost, etc.

Quick fix #1 is turn your computer off (and unplug it) for 1 minute, cycle power to the router, then turn your comp back on. If that doesn't work:

Try and isolate the problem -
Can you access the router setup at http://192.168.1.1 (the router address in internet explorer). If yes your hardware and software are ok and the problem is in the router settings. If not try finding your sisters computer on the LAN. If you can't see her comp either it's in your computer HW or SW.

If in the router check the DHCP you are assigned. I've had mine change to "garbage" once or twice. Release and reassign it. You may need to power cycle the router and your computer for this to take effect. You can also do a hardware reset on the router (tiny, recessed button on the case). Note the reset will require you to put all your settings back in the computer if you had ports opened etc.

If in the computer check for NIC lights being green (router and PC ends).
Check device manager to see if the NIC is installed and working. If the NIC has an error report, uninstall the NIC in device manager and then reboot and it will reinstall.

Well, the issues is fixed new after a reboot, but at the time I wasn't able to see the other computer on the network, I wasn't able to ping outside of my nic card... couldn't ping gateway or anything. :(

Well, I had this exact same problem with my Linksys router. I never really did figuare out what the problem was. It just stoped doing it for a while and then would come back and then go away again.

From what I remember of the testing I did, I belive that when you lose the connection, if you go into the DHCP Client list through the router admistration, you will find that your computer in no longer in the DHCP client list but the other computer is. You will also not be able to renew the ip address or renew the DHCP client.

For some reason when the DHCP client expires and needs to refresh the ip address it drops the DHCP client, and won't re-initalize it untill you reboot the pc.

Something you might try to fix the problem. 1) see if you can set the DHCP client to never expire. 2)set the DHCP ip address as static (even if it is dynamic, as if you never disconnect you shouldn't need a new ip address unless your service provider dynamicaly re-assignes it).

If I think of anything else on this I will post some more. Hope it helps.

Well I sort of had an issue like that, but I don't think this is the one causing that... because I believe that if I was having that issue, I still would be able to connect to the router, and that's something I couldn't do. When I came back from a LAN party, my computer was automatically assigned an IP address when I plugged into my router. I never use Dynamic IP's, so I went ahead and changed mine back to static, to reflect my ports. My static IP address and my DHCP listing on the router negated each other, so I went into the router, removed my DHCP entry for the IP I'm not using anymore, and it was fixed...

But in the situation that occured last night, I couldn't even ping or connect to the router via web. :(

Computer did it again today, and there isn't anything in the event log. :( I don't know what time it occured, because I wasn't home. :(

I had that problem once. It could be a firewall issue (properly configuring the router as within the trusted zone) or a power management issue (which may turn off your network interface device after a period of non-use) or the issue mentioned by Maveric169. I had to change all three before things worked consistently.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back