Computer Powerless

Ok well my computer has been down for well over a month and I am in desperate need of it being fixed so, eventhough I don't know if this will work, I have another processor and heatsink that I am going to install. I would wait a little longer for more answers but they aren't coming to me very fast on here and I need my computer badly at this point in time..... So if anyone once again has anymore better suggestions or a way to solve this problem, it would be much appreciated.... ;)

hmmm sounds like a dead cpu or board. I'd fire at board first if you're certainnothing is shorting/grounding the board.

If you have access to another computer, another thing you can do is to use the power switch you have in your computer and try using it in another PC to see if the switch itself works or not...

If not, then thats the problem.... goto radioshack buy a switch, plug it into the spot where your existing switch is, DO NOT install it, plug everything up, and press that switch, if it works, then that is your problem, if not, I would have to agree that I would think it was the mobo before it was the CPU...

Lastly, if you know how and are not afraid, remove the heat sink fan, ensure there is plenty of heat sink compound and that it is spread evenly across your CPU and make sure the HSF is clipped on correctly and does not wobble or move.

after you do all of this write back, we will help you..

:)

First make sure the outlet the system is plugged into works (unplug the system and plug a lamp or radio into the same outlet to make sure it works) I know you said the LAN connection lights up but it won’t hurt to see if something else works in that outlet (I’ve seen lamps flicker in one outlet and same lamp work fine in another).

Then at this point what I would do is disconnect all drives (hard drives and rom drives) power and IDE cables. Then remove all Pci cards so all you had on the board was “memory, processor and video” make sure all power connections to the board are connected correctly (to see if it’s a drive or card problem).

Take a second look at the front power switch pins make sure there in the correct order.
Boot up see if you get any reaction, if no reaction then remove the “memory” and see what happens when you boot up.

If all this gets no reaction then I would say like the others have said it’s the motherboard or CPU.

I do this for a living, and from the descriptions that you have given, it sounds like a Motherboard/CPU problem. It does not mean that they are dead, but there is a problem. I agree that you should pull everything except the CPU, RAM, and video. This will test the BIOS and see if anything is working. Also, when you try to turn it on, does the Fan on the Power Supply even attempt to move? This is an indication that you are not getting the start signal from the Motherboard. Let me know if any of these help.

Best Regards,
Starbuck21 - And no, that is not from the Coffee - Way before that.:yowch::lick:

starbuck21 said:
I do this for a living, and from the descriptions that you have given, it sounds like a Motherboard/CPU problem. It does not mean that they are dead, but there is a problem. I agree that you should pull everything except the CPU, RAM, and video. This will test the BIOS and see if anything is working. Also, when you try to turn it on, does the Fan on the Power Supply even attempt to move? This is an indication that you are not getting the start signal from the Motherboard. Let me know if any of these help.

Best Regards,
Starbuck21 - And no, that is not from the Coffee - Way before that.:yowch::lick:
I will be switching out the CPU and heatsink here very soon, so I guess if it's the CPU then the problem will be solved.... but if the CPU change doesn't work, I think I will just unplug everything expect the CPU, RAM, and video and if I still get no new facts I guess I will just resort to a new motherboard.... But as for your question starbuck, none of my fans anywhere even attempt to move when I press the power button.

Thanks a lot guys, i'll be back with more info...
Oh and also, I will try switching around the outlets to see if it could be an outlet problem also ;)

If the power supply fan is not even trying to move, then the problem is either the Power supply or the Motherboard or its connectors. Are you sure that you have all of the connections to the motherboard correct, including but not limited to the Power connectors to the board (there should be at least 2), the connectors from the switch to the motherboard, and all of the other lines that connect to the motherboard. You mentioned in an earlier post that you had shorted the pins and then nothing happened. The other thing that you can do is actually disconnect the power line from the motherboard, and actually touching the 2 pins for the power together. This can be accomplished with a flat blade screwdriver, but make sure that you are grounded first.

Starbuck21

starbuck21 said:
If the power supply fan is not even trying to move, then the problem is either the Power supply or the Motherboard or its connectors. Are you sure that you have all of the connections to the motherboard correct, including but not limited to the Power connectors to the board (there should be at least 2), the connectors from the switch to the motherboard, and all of the other lines that connect to the motherboard. You mentioned in an earlier post that you had shorted the pins and then nothing happened. The other thing that you can do is actually disconnect the power line from the motherboard, and actually touching the 2 pins for the power together. This can be accomplished with a flat blade screwdriver, but make sure that you are grounded first.

Starbuck21

So what your saying is if my power supply fan doesn't even attempt to move when I try to turn it on, then it narrows the possibility down to the PS and Mobo? I could almost guarantee that it isn't my power supply, because I just ordered a whole new case with a new PS already in it, but I still could test it to make sure. I will also make sure and check all the connections once more. I will return later on this evening with more answers.... I just hope it's not my motherboard, because this will be the second board I would of had to replace if it is.... :cry:

Thanks a ton for your help though Starbuck, :)

According to your manual for your motherboard, the pins that you need to go accross to test whether it is the Power Supply or the Motherboard is Pins 14 and 16 on the header. I don't know if you have the manual, but this is the pins that you need to jump across. But make sure that you are grounded and only jump across them for less than a second. Hope that this helps.

Starbuck21

Ok well I apologize for the long delay to reply but I am sad to say that I changed out my CPU and Heatsink and the computer still remains powerless. Would this mean that the problem is obviously my motherboard? Or is it possible that it could be a problem with something else such as the HD's? I have changed out my PS, Case, and CPU, so I just figure the only things left to cause the problem is the mobo? I am ready to order whatever I need to fix this dang problem, :lick:

Since you have obviously tried other things with this problem, the last thing that I would check before saying that it is the motherboard is to unplug all external devices from the motherboard except for the Video, Ram, CPU and Fan. This includes all hard drives, floppy drives, CD's, DVD's, etc.... Then power on the system and see if you come up with the system post message. Also, when I say to unplug all devices, I also me to take out all of the cards that may be installed. The only other thing that I have ever seen to cause the symptoms that you are seeing is a modem that was struck by lightning. The card was shorted, and nothing would start on the board. If none of this works, I am sorry to say, but I think that it would have to be your MOBO.

Hope that this helps,
Starbuck21:nervous:

Well I took the mobo out and put it in another case and PS and it did come on, but it wasn't working correctly. It was actually a friend of mine doing this for me and he said that the motherboard was making a loud SNAP sound and not working right at all. I am just figuring that it's the motherboard or should I try to still test out the CPU, RAM, and Video? I am ready to order a new motherboard and if it doesn't work i'm just going to buy a whole new computer, since I already have a cordless keyboard & mouse with the 19 " flatscreen, heh heh :lick: It's just i've replaced almost everything in this computer, and i'm just going to get a whole new souped up gaming tower or something.... Thats IF the new motherboard doesn't work, because if it doesn't, I think i'm just fed up with it and will fix it later, I just need a computer very very badly, lol... :nervous:

Richy said:
Well I took the mobo out and put it in another case and PS and it did come on, but it wasn't working correctly. It was actually a friend of mine doing this for me and he said that the motherboard was making a loud SNAP sound and not working right at all. I am just figuring that it's the motherboard or should I try to still test out the CPU, RAM, and Video? I am ready to order a new motherboard and if it doesn't work i'm just going to buy a whole new computer, since I already have a cordless keyboard & mouse with the 19 " flatscreen, heh heh :lick: It's just i've replaced almost everything in this computer, and i'm just going to get a whole new souped up gaming tower or something.... Thats IF the new motherboard doesn't work, because if it doesn't, I think i'm just fed up with it and will fix it later, I just need a computer very very badly, lol... :nervous:

Richy, I'm wondering the status of your investigation since February. I myself am beginning to have a bone to pick with Biostar. I have the exact same freaking problem. Naturally, they don't really offer much help besides "How-to Clear the CMOS" and junk.

I picked up this board in January: BIOSTAR GEFORCE 6100-M7 Socket 754 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Had no issues with the thing until a couple of weeks ago, was strange too, computer turned itself off one day unexpectedly. After a few punches to the case in frustration it magically (always magically) turned itself back on. Not entirely sure if it was ok, I let the thing continue to stay on, of which after 15 minutes, powered itself off again. Bothered, I tried several approaches, very similar steps of troubleshooting you yourself have taken - minus the CPU. It's always a pain to swap CPU's these days.

By same problem, I mean LAN light came on, and that was it. Tried three different PSU's, two different switches and tried direct jumper tapping.

It's all for nothing.

I RMA'd the board, newegg sent me a replacement, just received it today - same effing problem. Tried my own personal towers PSU which is at 550W - no dice either, can't be a juice-related problem. Called Newegg wondering if they mistakenly cross-shipped the defective board to me, they confirmed the replacement had a different serial number and everything - offered an additional RMA for this one.

But, wait, there's more!

Coincedentally (and obviously too late) I ordered a different Biostar board for someone else I know - right before this issue happened.

The board: MB BIOSTAR TForce6100 GF6100 754 - Retail

Hey, on arrival this one also gave me a flunkage! Brand new PSU/Case as well, but hey what the heck, since I already bought all this extra junk why not see if it's the new PSU/Case ... nope. This board had the Same Problem, LAN is on, but no beeps/fans/anything - Shot. The only difference with this one is that this model has the Startup diagnostic LEDs onboard - which obviously don't matter, but...whatever.

I'm waiting today for the RMA of this board to arrive, and I'm sickeningly RMA'ing the original Biostar back to newegg today or tommorow - but, after doing my homework, I don't have absolute reference yet I'd like to know if a new board honestly does the trick.

A guy raised on computer repair and actively working in the industry for ten years tends to get embarassed when he can't figure out what the heck the problem is. So far my vote says Biostar is the problem, since I haven't had similar issues with any other board in my entire life. If it was a dead board it was DEAD board...no activity, nada, zip, zilch.

Anyways, ending the Rant, but, Richy please let me know your progress on this. PM me if possible.

:crosseyed:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back