Computer Powerless

Richy

Beyond All Comprehension.
Hello everyone, I was just posting because my computer is powerless and I have no idea why. I posted a few weeks earlier about replacing my power supply to solve the problem, but even after ordering a brand new 520W power supply, the computer still does not turn on. I cannot figure out what is wrong with it because I cannot get on the internet for help with it, (duh....lol) But I finally got to a computer and was wondering if anyone on here would know, or have a list of things, which could be wrong with my computer with a brand new power supply? I did alreadty consider it being the switch on my case, or possibly my motherboard, but I am not sure at all what could be wrong. Can anyone help me get my computer back up and running? Any other ideas of the problem besides the power supply and power cord will be greatly appreciated. Could it be the motherboard?

Well doesn't your motherboard have a power light? Cause if it does and you turn the power on for the Power Supply, it should light up as I guess what it would be a standby mode (someone agree with me?). If that happens, it can't be your mobo, but it shouldn't be negated out completly.

Well there is a little light that still comes on by my ethernet plug-in. Does that mean the motherboard isn't dead?

correct! Power is flowing through the motherboard. If the motherboard was dead, it wouldn't work (trust me, I had a power supply blow and even damage the motherboard that the next power supply I had, the light was VERY dim)

hmmmmm, well thats a relief it's not the mobo, but what else could be causing the problem? What would be the most likely problem I guess is what i'm asking.....?

Well if you wanna test the connection, if I am correct, I think there is a way to start the system with a manual push but I'm not too sure. What's your Mobo? Maybe if I see the specs on the screen, We can possibly figure something out (unless someone else suggests something).

I am away from my computer so I could not tell you the exact model, but it is a Biostar I do know that. I can post the model later if you need it...

well I'm wondering right now why is Admiral Michael just roaming around the post and not saying anything lol *CAUGHT!! I got a snapshot here ;)*

Well if you can, get your exact model later on if someone else doesn't give a better suggestion.

You could always test the power button, I thought my PSU was dead, but it turned out to be my power switch ;), just get a screw driver and jumper your power switch pins with it. Remember, all you need to do is tap them, you dont need to hold it on there.

After reading this thread and the other one Here I will vote for the power switch bad. There only a few dollars so I would try that next.

zeke_mo said:
You could always test the power button, I thought my PSU was dead, but it turned out to be my power switch ;), just get a screw driver and jumper your power switch pins with it. Remember, all you need to do is tap them, you dont need to hold it on there.

Good job Zeke...

Remember to use something isolated and toucht them real quick across the pins just like he mentioned... 12V can hurt a bit if you held it there with say a paperclip... which would work well..

Ok so I will try to test the power switch by doing one of these testers, I will reply soon to see if it worked... :p

Hey everyone, I took a jumper to my power switch pins and I didn't seem to get any reaction from touching it, but I am also not sure if I did it correctly. All I know is that I couldn't find anything to indicate that power was coming to the switch.... So would be purchasing a new case (which I need) be the solving factor for this problem? Or at least my best bet to get it fixed? I also need to know exactly how to check the switch, in case I tested it incorrectly.... :lick:

Well, maybe if we saw the motherboard pic specs, we could try to make sure you did get the correct jumper right for jump starting the system. But if you DID get the right jumper and its not working, then we can go back to square 1 and say it is the motherboard. But a new case doesn't hurt ;)

Ok see the attached drawing to understand better...
hope this helps... power short diag.jpg

Also, the color of the power cable are probably black and white but dont show up on visio well, so I just colored them blue and red... :D
and to answer your previous answer, yes, buying a new case would most likely fix the problem, but you need to make sure it is only a bad switch before you buy a new case...

just my $ .02 post back and let us know how it turned out..

Ok the drawing helped out a lot, because I think I remember touching these pins with a metal screw driver and nothing happend.... but im still not 100% sure. As long as the computer has power to it the switch will have a reaction to the metal contact right? I will need to do this exact thing over again just to make sure, and I will also get the specs and have them posted tonight, because I found a better way to connect to the internet so I can get this problem fixed.... But I will be back with an answer to the test just to make sure, and I will post my mobo specs.....

Last edited:
My Motherboard Specs : http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdetails.asp?model=m7ncd

Also.... I tried using a new case and the computer still didn't seem to want to turn on, so im guessing that rules out the possibilities of a power switch failure. Anyone else have anymore ideas as to what could be causing the computer to not turn on?

Would anyone know what could still be causing the computer to not turn on? Maybe it could be the processor or hard drive? Any reply would be helpfull because I have no idea what could be causing the problem......

OK, lets backup some and see what we can figure out.

When you hit the power switch do any of the below happen?

Do you hear post beeps? If so how many beeps (long or short)

Can you see the Hard drive LED light come on or not?

Do you hear the Hard drive spin up?

With the side cover off is the processor fan spinning (if it has one)?

Do any of your Rom drives or floppy light come on?

Do you hear anything inside the case that sounds to be working?

bush dogg said:
OK, lets backup some and see what we can figure out.

When you hit the power switch do any of the below happen?

Do you hear post beeps? If so how many beeps (long or short)

Can you see the Hard drive LED light come on or not?

Do you hear the Hard drive spin up?

With the side cover off is the processor fan spinning (if it has one)?

Do any of your Rom drives or floppy light come on?

Do you hear anything inside the case that sounds to be working?

Ok, when the computer started not turning on it did not make any sounds at all when I tried to turn it on. The only working thing I can find is my DSL/Ethernet Plug-in when I have the power cord connected to the computer. Other then that, I cannot notice anything else coming on or making any sounds.... :suprised:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back