Computer on domain that takes awhile to perform "Applying personal settings"...

Punkrulz

Somewhat eXPerienced
Hey guys,

I have a computer that's on the domain that's been taking a real long time performing the "Applying personal settings" when logging into the machine. Initially I would think it would have to do with the size of the profile that the user has on the machine, and they aren't using roaming profiles, however that wouldn't apply because the profile no matter how large or small takes the same amount of time. Plus I had a new user login to the machine who normally doesn't and that still doesn't work.

I'm trying to think of ways to troubleshoot the "Applying personal settings" length of time, though I'm stuck. What steps should I perform to further troubleshoot the issue?

this worked last time for an issue like this, probably wont this time but who knows.

swap out the nic for another and see if that solves the issue.

this worked last time for an issue like this, probably wont this time but who knows.

swap out the nic for another and see if that solves the issue.

I partially agree with this logic...

First, if you are using auto-detect NIC cards, and for example have 10/100/1000 NIC cards, turn OFF the auto-ngotiate, and set the speed manually.

Reset computer and see if this fixes the problem...

THEN.. if that doesnt work what Lancer suggested in Bang-ON...

Mike A!

Anything in the event log?
Does this happen to system if you remove them from the domain?
Does this happen to the system if you login off the network using cached credentials?
Does this happen using a local account?
Does the computer have a valid DNS entry in DNS?
Is this pulling IP Addresses from DHCP?
Does it have a valid DNS server on the client?

I would go mostly with what Fitz suggested...

Check the Event Log, verify all DNS/DHCP information is correct. Also see how long it takes to resolve the NETBIOS information of the PDC. In some rare cases I have hard-coded the IP of the PDC as the Primary DNS server to some clients. that has helped out as well.

Of course that is only a temp fix until something more permanent was discovered.

fitz he's feeling sick don't take it too personal he's not in his right mind. haha. :)

Hi guys

just run the gpedit.msc in run window

go in administrative templet>system>dns client>primary dns suffix

enable it & put the dns suffix for eg. microsoft.com

Amol

Hi guys

just run the gpedit.msc in run window

go in administrative templet>system>dns client>primary dns suffix

enable it & put the dns suffix for eg. microsoft.com

Amol
Possibly a good suggestion, but not a good way to go about it.

All DNS changes should be done at the domain level, through the DHCP Server. This way, if changes need to be made they can be pushed to all clients and allow for dynamic updates. If you go around making changes to individual machines, that is going to KILL your administrative overhead.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back