Computer lags

dee dee

OSNN Junior Addict
Hi All
My problem is after doing a clean install of xp home and applying sp2 and all updates, my computer lags when i open folders for Example double click on a folder and its not instant responce the click sound lags behind, same when i click the back arrow, sound of click lags behind the action.
Im using latest Nvidia forceware drivers and directx 9c, i had 9b prire to sp2 install. Does any bright spark have any clues to why this could be happening
Would be much appciated
Thanks for now
Dee
Xp Home sp2
Nvidia Geforce 3 Ti 200 64mb
768mb Ram
Directx 9c

Hi Thanks for the quick reply
I've have just defraged the h drive, finnished in about 5mins. Cpu is Amd Athlon 1.3. This happend to me the last time i did a complete install of xp, i Think for some reason it was related to video, directx. I've tried nocking the exceleration tab back in display properties trouble shooter but its not doing much at all. I shall keep trying
Thanks
I will post when its sorted
Cheers
Dee

why did u defrag the h drive? shouldnt u defragment your c:\? btw which program are u using to defragment, u should use perfect disk its the best one, u can get a free trial, www.raxco.com, do a smart placement defrag and an offline defragment

computer lag

Hi
Sorry you got confused h drive short for hard drive, I can live with the windows defrag thanks, still not able to sort this its very laggy, boot time is quicker with sp2 i'll say that.
Back to the drawing board
See ya
Dee

no u cant live the with windows defrag, it sucks and thats probably why its lagging, i havent use the windows defrag in about 3 years

Hi
I'm using two 40gb hard drives, and using Norton Antivirus v8, in answer to the defrag in xp it has never been a problem before, i know its not very good to most people but in the time i've used xp it has never been the cause of lags why would it now?
Regards]
Dee

how old is that? lol, might want to upgrade sometime in the near future, unless im mistaken and thats a new version?

computer dont lag no more

Hi
Thanks for all the replys, it turned out to be a bad video driver install,
just reinstalled nvidia driver and all has returned to normal thank god.
Nav 8 i have used since i've had the computer about 2 years and have never
had any problems with it only one or two times not updating but delete stuff in the common files folder cured this, never had any problems with defrag causing this much lag so it was a bad video driver install all along.
Best Regards
Dee

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back