Computer lagging...

• Thread starter EuphoricIAM
  • Start date
E

EuphoricIAM

Arg, I've got a problem. For some reason lately I've been noticing that my computers performance has been greatly reduced. I never had this problem before, and I'm pretty frustrated. What happens is that my computer keeps scanning my floppy drive for no apparent reason. This happens usually every few minutes. Also, just about non-stop I hear the sound of the processor (or whatever that scratchy sound is when the computer is opening a program and such) inside the computer. And, plus my Norton Utilities alert keeps coming on saying that I'm using too much commit memory. This is all paired with alot of lag and error message closings, programs open veery slowly and it's just plain laggy. If anyone knows what's going on please answer.

Athlon 1.3 Ghz
128Mb RAM (which is actually 112Mb with the shared video, and don't say it's a proble with the RAM cuz this never happened before)
40 Gig HD
etc...etc...etc...

well im gonna say it

its a prob with the ram and integrated video. u were lucky to have xp up and running at all, now it just dont have enough memory, even for you paging file. u dont have enough phyisical
memory to use the commit charge. that scratchy sound is ur hard drive trying to do stuff. you will never fix it without more memory so....get some.;) dont waste your time, just go get some more memory, cause i am 150% sure thats what it is...

Thanks

Yeah, I was kind of thinking that that was the problem (even though I said it wasn't:D ). I have been trying to convince my parents to get more RAM but I'll just have to push harder. I knew that the lack of memory would cause a problem, the system requirements for XP do say 128Mb (and by the way this computer is relatively new and came with XP installed and the 128Mb of RAM). Anyway, thanks.

Floppy Drive?

Also, that still doesn't answer the question of why my floppy drive keeps getting read for no reason...Please reply to answer it.

floppy

i do believe the floppy seek is you norton antivirus auto protect , constantly scanning it for viruses. what version norton is it? 2002?
2001 is not compatible in xp. u can disable all that norton auto stuff and it should fix it, but if your on norton 2001, get 2002.;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back