computer keeps randomly restarting

the_music_man

aka prodj88 =P
when im doing something my computer randomly restarts. first it hought it was a virus so i scanned and found nothing. then i thought maybe the cpu was over heating (b/c i told it to to restart when CPU reaches 60 C)...so i got Sandra software and its basically telling me that my CPU is at 45C right now and i have basically nothing openeed up. so do you think it is the CPU overheating or not? i don't think it is because the motheboard is suppose to beep when it reaches that temperature...last time it did that...any ideas?

I recently had the same problem, but it is more of a pagefile/memory problem I believe. I just ended up reformatting. There are some tutorials online on how to fix them, but they never ended up helping me any. Can you tell me what error you get when it reboots so I know if it is the same problem or not?

Ok do you have reboot on BSOD turned off? Also how random is your "random reboot"? I mean are you able to recreate it or does it just happen every now and then doing entirely different things? If so I would 1st suspect perhaps your PSU. If it is your PSU thats an easy test .. pop old and and swap in a known good one. Anyhoo I'll await your reply. :)

What ^ he said and good run of memtest86 may not hurt. Make sure you turn off auto rebooting. Also, have you upgraded vid drivers recently?

Like they say above get reboot on BSOD turned off so you can see the error messages.

List of things that cause random reboot:
-Overclcokcing anything.
--If you are return everything to normal and see if problem clears up.
-Too hot (CPU, memory or video card).
--Yours sounds ok. Case in mid 30's and CPU in mid 40's is sweet.
-Flaky/too small power supply or house power.
--Pull all cards but video, pull USB devices, extra ram etc. and see if stability improves.
--If problem clears up start putting things back in one at a time until it starts failing.
--Note this and the bad card checks may interact causing confusion as to source of bug.
-Bad memory stick
--If you have more than one try them one at a time.
--If not try relaxing the wait states.
-Bad add in card
--Pull all cards but video and see if stability improves.
--If problem clears up start putting things back in one at a time until it starts failing.-Unstable application (forground or background)
--Turn off all background tasks and just run one program at a time.
-Operating system corruption
--Unlikely and hard to isolate. The BSOD info may help so turn off auto restart.

Prodj88, check that your PSU fan is working fine.
I've had the same random reboot problem due to PSU fan failure & overheating of the PSU.

fans are working good. psu is 420W so i don't htink thats a problemo. um i think i noticed it rebooting after i started using my Nokia USB cable...hmm? let me try that BSOD thing ... and i'll tel lu what happens

prodj88 said:
fans are working good. psu is 420W so i don't htink thats a problemo. um i think i noticed it rebooting after i started using my Nokia USB cable...hmm? let me try that BSOD thing ... and i'll tel lu what happens
Just because you have a high watt PSU doesn't mean it's not going. Also check and see if your mobo maker has any updates for USB. I've had issues with old USB external HD's before with BSOD/reboots ... I ended up just not using them though. :(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back