Computer Is Going Nuts

Try to use only 1 RAM module at a time, don't swap them pull 1 out then try to boot. Then do same for other module.

Also if you can pull the sound card out then boot. And if you have a spare vid card swap that out if all else fails to get it to boot.

And you do not need hard drives or cdrom's or anything except the cpu, one stick of ram and a videocard to POST ..

If you remove ram and it POST's then it is a ram issue .. get another stick of ram or try just one stick

No it didn't, when I removed it it did the same thing but also made a beep noise. I will try 1 ram piece at a time.

*edit, did the 1 ram removed at a time, no luck. I doubt it's ram or anything like that, people think simple....it makes no sense so it has to be stupidly simple lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually when the CPU fan is running at 100% it has to do with a dislodged heatsink. Barring that, the mobo is b0rked. :cry: Check the mainboard for bad capacitors by looking for bulging domes, maybe with splits in the top with brown electrolyte leaking from it, or with electrolyte leaking from the bottom of the capacitors. Check here for some examples:
http://www.badcaps.net/

Usually when the CPU fan is running at 100% it has to do with a dislodged heatsink. Barring that, the mobo is b0rked. :cry: Check the mainboard for bad capacitors by looking for bulging domes, maybe with splits in the top with brown electrolyte leaking from it, or with electrolyte leaking from the bottom of the capacitors. Check here for some examples:
http://www.badcaps.net/

I will check out that as well. Though, isn't the test that I did, when removing the RAM, tell me that the MOBO is not dead. If the MOBO was the issue, then when I removed the RAM I shoud NOT have heard the beeps. Correct...

There's many different capacitors on the board that control many different things. The BIOS may still be functional but the power to the graphics or something else may be gone.

Well, I am no expert but I see no damage or leaking items on my MOBO. Neither does the details on that link gave, so if it's the MOBO, its not in terms of capacitors or what not.

The 2 things to me that might make sense (even though nothing does) is a dead MOBO or dead Hard Drive. So I just remembered that I didn't try unplugging the HDDs, so i just did that. Had them all unplugged, and the same thing happened, not even a beep or anything. Very weird. ARrrrgg I am getting depressed without my comp lol

I say the mobo is fried or the cpu is fried, I cant see anything else .

I say the mobo is fried or the cpu is fried, I cant see anything else .

Yea and no way to test it 100%. Also worst time to upgrade to new hardware, and worst time to even get equal hardware cause i just spent all kinds of money...arg And RMA for my mobo would take FOREVER!

So who wants to lend me 700bucks for a new mobo and cpu and maybe ram lol, im getting pissed at not having a computer..

have you taken the CPU and heat sink off? Do that, re-seat it. Put the video card in, nothing else including the hard drive(s) and try it.

I never taken the CPU and heat sink off, it was too much work and since it looked fine. And now I have my new case and PSU setup, all clean and wires zipped up. I really don't want too, but it looks like I don't have a choice.

I have tested everything else, so its that or buy new parts..arg

You said it beeped. That means the CPU, BIOS and power supply were working. It takes all 3 to make a beep.

My guess is that when you moved the PC you jarred the MB enough that something is shorting underneath it. Possibly around a screw head. Or the HSF could be shorting something or dislodged.

Strip it out of the case.

Check the HSF for proper (level) seating and the clips/screws shorting anything.

Put the PSU and MB with CPU/HSF installed on the desktop (not a metal one). Plug the case speaker wires into the MB header and boot it by touching a paper clip or metal pen tip between the Pwr+ and Pwr- on the MB header (or use the case pwr switch if it reaches). You should get the beeps for missing RAM and missing Video. If it beeps CPU is good and MB is at least partially working.

Power down, Plug in Ram and video. Boot again.

If you get the VGA Boot screen. Power down and plug in the HD power and data cables. Boot again. You should get the OS up.

Add keyboard and mouse.

Now reinstall it in the case being very careful about seating and centering the screw heads that hold the MB down. Tighten the screws so the MB can't slide around.

If you can't get beeps agian with the just the MB, CPU, HSF the MB is a likely culprit.

You said it beeped. That means the CPU, BIOS and power supply were working. It takes all 3 to make a beep.

My guess is that when you moved the PC you jarred the MB enough that something is shorting underneath it. Possibly around a screw head. Or the HSF could be shorting something or dislodged.

Strip it out of the case.

Check the HSF for proper (level) seating and the clips/screws shorting anything.

Put the PSU and MB with CPU/HSF installed on the desktop (not a metal one). Plug the case speaker wires into the MB header and boot it by touching a paper clip or metal pen tip between the Pwr+ and Pwr- on the MB header (or use the case pwr switch if it reaches). You should get the beeps for missing RAM and missing Video. If it beeps CPU is good and MB is at least partially working.

Power down, Plug in Ram and video. Boot again.

If you get the VGA Boot screen. Power down and plug in the HD power and data cables. Boot again. You should get the OS up.

Add keyboard and mouse.

Now reinstall it in the case being very careful about seating and centering the screw heads that hold the MB down. Tighten the screws so the MB can't slide around.

If you can't get beeps agian with the just the MB, CPU, HSF the MB is a likely culprit.

Thanks for the help, but please read everything next time. I said it beeped when I tried removing the RAM, that was the only time. I also said I have added the computer to a new case, and a new PSU, so its not something jarred like that. The only thing I have not tried is removing the CPU and Heatsink from the MB, which I will be doing today.

Thanks again. This sucks lol

Is there a tool or something that I can do to see for sure if my motherboard is dead. I have done everything possible to test the problem, and its still happening. None of it makes sense, but the motherboard being dead might make a bit of sense. I don't want to go buy a new one, which I can't anyways, if it's not dead.

I am just ranting, I am pretty sure there is no way, specially not a tool, to test if the motherboard is dead. And I was even looking on the EVGA website for RMA stuff, can't seem to find it. Boo.

So I unplugged my computer, to move it to a new desk.

I plugged everything back in, exactly how it was. And it wont start.

How does this say you swapped cases?

Follow the proven fault isolation instructions I provided and you will isolate what is wrong until all that is left is the MB.

The only way to test a MB is with a whole set of proven good, CPU, RAM, PSU, etc. If the MB is bad (like a bad voltage regulator) it can damage the equipment you are testing it with so it is a risky process.

If the beep occured because you pulled the ram with power on then it was a voltage spike and tells you nothing. If the system beeped during a boot up the CPU is probably ok.

If the HSF is not on correctly the CPU can over heat during POST and the system will behave like it is dead. The CPU/MB monitor temperature and shut themselves down almost instantly to avoid a fire.

I was thinking about that, but I can't change the boot sequence to CD/DVD, because I don't get any POST or BIOS or anything.

My options right now, as I see it, is pay someone to look at my computer, or buy new parts. I could pay for someone to fix it, and they tell me its dead anyways, or I buy a new one and its not the issue. Both spend money I can't, thanks to my other new toys lol

How does this say you swapped cases?

Follow the proven fault isolation instructions I provided and you will isolate what is wrong until all that is left is the MB.

The only way to test a MB is with a whole set of proven good, CPU, RAM, PSU, etc. If the MB is bad (like a bad voltage regulator) it can damage the equipment you are testing it with so it is a risky process.

If the beep occured because you pulled the ram with power on then it was a voltage spike and tells you nothing. If the system beeped during a boot up the CPU is probably ok.

Here is an update.

With everything plugged in, no beep, no nothing.

With Harddrive out, no beep, no nothing

With RAM out, beep, no nothing

With videocard out, no beep, no nothing.

And the PSU is a new one.

And I have not removed the CPU and tried it, cause that is crazy. Plus there is only one think I hate doing in terms of computers, and that is removing and placing CPUs, they are hard lol But from what I have done, it should tell me it's the motherboard. Except the ram, the ram states that the MB is fine, correct?

So I haven't tried too much since my last posting. I ended up taking the computer to a local store, the guy plugged it in and it worked and went into windows. I was like WTF, so at that point it had to be the monitor cable because the monitor does work.

Got it home, changed the cable and it still didn't work. It actually got worse, it wouldn't run any power. So I tried outlets up stairs, downstairs, 4 different cables,still nothing. Finally i removed the back to the case, where all my horrible wiring is, and it gave me power, but just like before,where only the fans worked. So I was getting pissed. Finally I tried one other outlet, the fathest away from the rest (only power,no other connections) and it worked. So I tried it one more time downstairs, with only the power connection, worked. So I connected everything, didn't work.

So I removed the DVI cable one more time,didn't work. For what ever reason I removed my keyboard connecting next (PS2) and the computer worked. I connected a usb keyboard and now its working and I am up and running. So it's either the PS2 connection on the board or the keyboard itself, but still seems odd cause all i did was unplug it in the beginning and plugged it back in.

What a waste of time.

Well, reps 2 yourself for solving your own problem! Funny stuff hey, computers....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back