Computer freezes..

Helmer

Questions R me
Here is the deal, I can use my pc in real dosmode with no trouble, but when I got to winXP (or any other operating system) it freezes at random - sometimes it takes 2 mins, sometimes it takes 30 mins - but when it freezes, there is nothing I can do but reboot. No input from keyboard, mouse or anything.

I've run a very thourough ram checker and it didn't come up with anything. I've downloaded the lates VIA 4 in 1 drivers, that didn't help. I've downloaded all the updates for winXP - no good either..

My system is:

AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1200 MHz
512 MB DDR Ram
Soltek SL-75DRV Socket A Motherboard
Creative Live SB
HP cd writer 9350 i

2 old HD's..

I'm totally out of ideas now, and I really need to make it work so any help would be MUCH appreciated :)

You could check the event viewer to see if that will tell you what is causing it to lockup. Did you do a clean install of XP, an upgrade of an existing OS, or a full install over an existing OS? If you did anything other than a clean install you could try backing up your data files, reformat your hard drive and do a clean install of XP. Then do all of the Windows updates and see if you still have the problem. If you dont then install your apps one at a time to see if it is one of the apps that is causing the problem.

Could be getting HOT !

Try running the system with the case open and a big fan blowing in it.

If you stop hanging, then you have a heat problem. I would also look at getting a new HD.

Your HD might be slow and its pissing XP off from time to time !!!

:cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back