Computer done cheaply

Petros

Thief IV
Computer parts are getting incredibly cheap. I just realized that tonight while building one for a buddy of mine. Check this out:

DVD+/-RW 8x NEC|ND-2500A/BLK
$72.99

MOUSE: AOPEN O-75B OPITCL
$9.40

COPPER SHIM
$2.05

CPU AMD|3000/400FSB ATHLON XP BARTON
$138.00

VIDEO: RADEON 9800PRO 128M 8X
$172.00

HD: 160GB|SAMSUNG 7200
$92.00

DDRAM: 512M|PC-3200 MUSHKIN
$89.00

CASE: BLACK w/400W PSU
$50.00

MONITOR: SCANPORT 17" CRT
$72.00

KEYBOARD: LOGTECH|BLACK INTERNET KEYBRD
$11.00

MOTHERBOARD: SHUTTLE|AN35N-ULTRA RETAIL (NForce 2 Ultra 400)
$54.99

The $40 we spent on shipping brought this computer to about $804 (£436.91). He wanted to skimp on everything, (like when he wanted to settle for a 9600 Pro) but I managed to rescue him from ignorance. And also made a compromise on RAM, since I figured a gig would be better. Not wanting to spend over $800, he agreed to 512. And was content with a generic mouse. Oh well. Maybe later...

Yes - and it is no coincidence that 64 bit and PCX bus (which will render AGP cards obsolete too BTW) are just around the corner.....

Basically in a couple of years systems like that one you just built will be seen pretty much the way we see PIII systems now I think - I could even be wrong on the timescales! Morses law and all that....

I think it is quite a cool philosophy to try to get best of breed in one basic core component on each upgrade to your system - then retain that component as long as possible going on to your next system, so you incrementally improve it.

In your friends case I think maybe the component I would have fixed on is a large/expensive TFT to improve the experience - he could then keep that for use with any future system..... who knows, maybe that will be his first upgrade? Then again I think another stick of ram will be his first performant required increase....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back