Computer does not find new harddrive

Quartersndimes

Complete Genius. . .
Hi all. I just got a new WD hard drive for my PC, and the computer does not find it in the the system BIOS. :speechless: The computer currently does not have a hard drive, and the one I am putting in is a 160 Gb. I need to know how to install it without using an OS, and I do not have a working hard drive to do anything with. The system is driving me crazy, as whenever I go into the BIOS and tell it to find the hard drive, it simply does not say any thing. I can put in my bootable Win2k install disk, but it says it "Cannot find boot partition to check for signature." I tried switching the CD and HDD plugs on the Motherboard, but that didn't fix it. What else can I do?!?!:dead:

You have to format the new drive for it to be recognized :)

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/cdfee224-2c9d-4102-9fbe-68e178310b281033.mspx

Specifically this part.

Preparing to use a new hard disk

After you have installed a new hard disk, your computer should recognize the new disk if you have installed it correctly. When you turn on your computer, the basic input/output system (BIOS) should automatically detect the new hard disk.

If you plan to use the new hard disk as the primary partition that contains Windows, then you will have to install Windows on the disk before you can use your computer. You will need a Windows Vista installation disc to do this. For more information, search Help and Support for "Installing and reinstalling Windows."

If you plan to use the new hard disk as a secondary disk (one that does not contain Windows), you should be able to see the new hard disk drive the next time you start your computer and log on to Windows. After Windows starts, click the Start button Picture of the Start button, click Computer, and then look for your new drive in the Computer folder. The letter assigned to the drive will depend on your computer’s configuration. If you don't see the new hard disk drive, try looking for it in Computer Management.

Open Computer Management by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Computer Management.* Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

In the Navigation pane, under Storage, click Disk Management, and then look for the new drive.

You will probably have to format the hard disk before you can use it. For instructions, see Formatting disks and drives. Follow these same instructions to format an old hard disk that contains data you want to erase.

If your computer does not recognize the new hard disk, double-check the installation instructions that came with the hard disk. If you have additional questions, go to the manufacturer's website.
NoteYou can divide a new hard disk into more than one partition. Each partition on the hard disk can be formatted and assigned a drive letter. For more information, see Managing hard disks: recommended links.

An fyi for you, I used this tool to format my 2nd 500GB drive when I added it. It may take a while, but it's perfectly usable afterwards and you can do whatever to follow-up.

He mentioned his BIOS not seeing it so he really can't prepare it. The Windows installation should be able to detect it and prepare/format it ... but if the BIOS can't see it, no OS will.

How is the drive connected?

I have tried to format it (the hard drive) on the computer I am using to type this post, but it does not recognize it either. I have tried everything, and it wont work. The Drive came with a boot CD, and I used it. It told me "The BIOS on this machine is set to 'None' or 'off' on one or more drives in the system. Data Lifeguard Tools will exit now." I have checked, double-checked, and triple checked the BIOS. None of the drives are set to none or off. After that, it says how to set them all on. I have done exactly what it told me, but hasn't worked yet. After all the instructions, it said, "If you need to have the BIOS off (rare situations), move the drive to secondary master in order to run the setup. (This thing is really bugging me.) I have tried it, and it still wont work.:dead:

Hey Q'n'D,

Why don't you reset the BIOS (use the reset jumper or pull the battery for 30 seconds, then put back in), sounds like someone might have played with the BIOS settings on that mobo. Usually out of the box, mobo's can pick up any HD.

By the way, What mobo is it? and what type of HD is it? (SATA, SATAII or PATA)

Maybe, just maybe your mobo is old enough that it won't pickup SATAII HD's and you will have to "detune" the HD by adding a jumper to the back of the HD.

But first it just might need a BIOS reset.

Heeter

Not sure if it's neccesary but I always choose optomize defaults after bios reset then set the date/time before running Windows setup. If your system has a single HHD remove the jumper, just remember that, if you want to add another drive later. Also set the boot order to cdrom 1st boot.

OK. The mobo is an A-Bit SE6 board. The HDD is a Western Digital 160 Gb SATA drive. (and yes, i have fooled with the mobo and once messed it up:nervous:) The web site for the mobo does not have a manual which I could find, but that does not mean it's there. I would get the reset jumper "jumped", but I cannot find it. Would it have any words by it? I have set the drive at almost every setting, but no activity.:cry: Can i get a floppy or CD boot IMG and prepare it that way? I have one called Data Lifeguard Tools, and it is on a floppy and CD. So what do I do? Is the mobo just too old? If it is, I'm just gonna buy a whole new computer.

I get onto my email more than my OSNN account. Email me if you have any solutions. E-Mail Quarternsndimes@hotmail.com

That is your problem right there,

You have a new SATA drive, and your mobo doesn't have a SATA port, it is too old.

If I was in your position, I would return the HD, and price out a new, complete machine for yourself.

You will not regret that move.

Or return the HD and get a PATA HD (Wide ribbon connector, like your CDRom).

To reset your BIOS, Q'n'D, you can pull the small battery out of it's socket on the mobo, and count to 30, then replace the battery back in.

Heeter

Last edited:
If you have not already done so, make sure the controller the SATA drive is attached to is enabled in the bios and that it is not set to RAID.

I looked up the MB. it is an old BX style with no SATA ports.

Options are
1) swap the SATA HD for an Parallel IDE ATA HD
or
2) go for a whole new system.

The MB, power supply and case you have will not be compatible with the newer upgrade options so you are at a start over point. If you don't want to spend that much you can still buy IDE (parallel) ATA HD's of the same 160 GB size.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back