computer d/c from cable modem?

J

JeremyT

Hey

I am having this incredibly annoying problem of my computer d/c from my cable modem. The modem itself never gets d/c and the cable company (chartermi, yes, nothing else is available) says that they show nothing that would be causing this and that the modem has been connected for weeks.

I am being d/c every 30-60 minutes and i need to powercycle the modem to get back online.

I have tried different ethernet cards but that doesn't make a difference which leads me to believe it is on there end and not mine, no matter what they say.

Has anyone else experienced this problem before or know of anything on my own comp that I should check out?

Thanks
JeremyT

This may not be your problem, but recently I was suffering drop outs in my cable signal so that I would lose connectivity on a regular basis. Apparently the signal was not strong enough. I was connected to a cable outlet that came from the living room and the cable guy gave me a very long cable to connect it to my modem in my bedroom. Well I had been using another wall outlet in my room for TV so I decided to use that receptacle and plug a much shorter cable into my modem. Presto! I was connected, my download speeds seem to have improved and I haven't been disconnected since.

Complex problem - found a simple solution. Hope that helps somebody!

I had a similar problem. Took months to finally get them out to take a look at it. It happens that the line they ran from the pole to my house when they installed it... had 14 kinks in it. I was losing so much signal my modem didn't like staying connected.

Also the calbe company will Rarely if ever admit the problem is on their end even if they know it is. You basically have to threaten to cancle your service if they don't send someone out ASAP to take a look at it.

i do have around a 40ft cable running from my outlet to my modem, so ill see if i can get a shorter one, only need about 15 feet. thanks for the tips.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back