Computer build help!!

IDLE

OSNN Senior Addict
ok i put the mobo and memory in the case powered it on. looks like if firess up fine but it has a long beep then stops then a long beep again...continuous.

i am running a chaintech el cheapo mobo with a celeron 2.53 D, ive got a nvidia 5600 agp card.

i put everything back together, but didnt make a difference on the beep. i get no signal to the monitor when doing this.

any ideas?

look in the manual it will explain the beeps and what each one means.
sounds like videocard though if you are not getting output.

well it does it when the video card is not even in the case.with just the mobo and memory in a long beep

How many sticks of RAM do you have? If more then one I would try one stick at a time and see if it'll boot.

Repeating (Endless loop): Memory error Bad memory or bad connection

IDLE said:
ok i put the mobo and memory in the case powered it on. looks like if firess up fine but it has a long beep then stops then a long beep again...continuous.

i am running a chaintech el cheapo mobo with a celeron 2.53 D, ive got a nvidia 5600 agp card.

i put everything back together, but didnt make a difference on the beep. i get no signal to the monitor when doing this.

any ideas?

IDLE said:
well it does it when the video card is not even in the case.with just the mobo and memory in a long beep

O.K. You say that it does the "beeps" when the video card is not installed, is this correct?

Are you trying to boot without the video card installed? (confused about this point)

Anyway, first check in the manual to see if you have the memory in the correct slots. Be it "slot 1" "slot 2" etc... Make sure the heatsink and fan for the CPU are seated correctly and that the fan for the CPU is plugged into the mother board. And make sure that the video card is installed and seated correctly.

Ummmmm, is there a hard drive installed? Is it plugged into the mother board? Double check the connections to it, the ribbon cable and the power cable coming from the power supply.

Could you give us a list of everything (hardware) installed in this computer.

Thought i would add this in although gonaads reply was pretty good,
When a system boots and doesn't go after bios is a hardware problem, in my past problems it was the videocard not being installed and the ram gone bad. If you don't know your mother board version, look on the board itself it should say somewhere along the edge (from what i have expierenced) and like i said check out the manual.

read the manual to make sure you have everything hooked up right. Though from what you said I agree that's either video card or the ram causing the problem at this point

Make sure that your RAM is sufficiently 'clicked' into place, I replaced some RAM in a PC at work the other day, and I had to quite forcefully click the RAM into place before it was seated properly. Much more difficult to install than usual. Needless to say, don't push too hard or you'll break something!
Also, make sure you're only putting 1 stick of RAM at first, and if that doesn't work try another stick if possible. It's gotta be a RAM related issue, and I would say it's likely to be due to incorrectly inserted RAM. If it's cheap RAM it could be faulty though.

Make sure you have the video card plugged in correctly first, then see what happens.
A loose video card is the most common cause for beeps.
Also, check that the video card actually works by testing it on another machine. If you are certain that this is not the problem, then move on to those suggested above. :)

here is my run down. i have the mobo PSU cpu aqnd ram installed. its not even in my case. its sitting on my wooden table. power it on a long beep occurs. pulled the ram out put it in my pc. works fine.

this has nothing to do with the video card considerihng its not installed as of now ( it was installed earlier)

late last night i left it on for 45 seconds and i start to smell a burning plastic coming from teh mobo....

i am returning the mobo today and getting a new one again...

btw the manual sucks. doesnt tell you much except for putting it together. there isnt a section for troubleshooting beep codes....

You may want to make sure you use a grounding wrist strap, as only a few mV of static can toast sensitive components. Or at least make sure you are touching the metal case while fiddling with components. A concrete or wood floor would be a better surface to stand on while working on your pc than a carpet floor to prevent static. Avoid wearing dress shoes or other shoes you know to cause static while working on the pc.

If the mobo has on-board video you may have to change a setting in BIOS to activate a PCI or AGP video card on boot. Be sure to clear the CMOS after any hardware swaps either by the jumper or by leaving the CMOS battery out for a couple minutes (or both to be sure). I know, these are all simple suggestions, but most often easily looked over.

A look at this site (scroll down) shows common beep codes (google is your friend) and it sounds like it may be a mobo or short circuit issue. If part of your board gets ground from a metal mounting post you could get a short there.

Lastly, most mobos, if you look closely with a magnifying glass, have all the information you would ever need printed on it in various locations. A Dell I was working on recently had a "diagnostic startup" jumper that helped with a failure to boot problem a friend had after a hardware swap. Hope something here helps. :)

im glad you brought this up trukkmann, i tried to clear the cmos, which had a jumper and i positioned it to clear it but it would not turn on. no power.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back