Computer Alarm

G

gmagnuson

I want to use my computer as an alarm clock. I have heard of the way of using the BIOS to start your computer at a certain time, but my problem is that I only suspend my computer to keep all of my windows open ready for the next days use. Does anyone know of a program that will "wake up/start up" my computer and log me in...Thanks for any help.

you could add a scheduled task which loads a winamp playlist or something? that would bring the pc out of standby and start playing music (i think)

That worked, now does anyone know where there is a program that will automatically log me into the computer, but will only allow certain programs to run until a password is entered. I have other people that like to use my computer, and I still want to use it as an alarm clock, but if I do not get up and someone else gets on......

Can not be done. There are reasons that Windows XP/2000/NT have security built into them.

If you have Windows XP you could accomplish what you wish using fast user switching. It allows more than one user to be logged on at a time. Your scheduled task would run from the other profile and you would be able to hear it as well as someone else using the computer. You would need to type in your password to access your profile again. That's the closest your gonna get to what you want.

That sounds like a good idea tho ... to be able to let you run certain programs before having to put in a password.. it sounds like a screen saver password tho:)

yea.. you could get Tweak XP, then put the programs u want to run on your startup list, and then let your screen saver run, and make it have a password when you move the mouse or something, then you can have the programs you want to run in the background :)

you could set up a new user - call it "AlarmClock" or something (for recognition purposes only heh) and set a password on it.

create a scheduled task to load winamp at a specified time - tell the computer to run that task using the "AlarmClock" user account and specify the pass for it there so it will log in as "AlarmClock" and play music.

now, i think you can change privileges (dunno if thats spelt right lol) on the user using the group policy editor (gpedit.msc) but id be careful, or read up on what to do using the group policy editor before using it - if you click the wrong thing, its possible you could cause things not to work at all for diff ppl (im not sure tho, ive never really played with it in WinXP - just in Win9x - I'm positive you can get it to only run Winamp though using that kinda thing - just allow the basic programs needed to make windows work properly and also winamp - should work jus fine :D)

good luck!!

(p.s. if anyone finds a fault in my post - plz speak up :))

(edit: post #100 too :p)

another edit: you could do what AlexIsAxel said but rather than run a screensaver, you could put a shortcut to lock the computer in the startup folder - the shortcut info to make a lockcomputer shortcut is in the tweaks database thread - http://www.ntfs.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7847 - good luck again :D)

Im not sure if that changes all the users privileges (uses Tech Supports Spelling :D ) but its worth a try i supose

Remember for you to be able to open gpedit.msc, you need to be running on Windows XP Professional edition.. Windows XP Home doesnt have gpedit.msc :(

Originally posted by Alex_is_Axel
Remember for you to be able to open gpedit.msc, you need to be running on Windows XP Professional edition.. Windows XP Home doesnt have gpedit.msc :(

oh... I didnt know that (mind you... I've never used XP Home - only pro)

its good for adding loads of stuff to a computer - totally personalising it - or making the active desktop theme look better - having shutdown,restart,standby and lock shortcuts on it... i tend to press WindowsKey+L though - same end result :)

Originally posted by TechSupport
oh... I didnt know that (mind you... I've never used XP Home - only pro)

Yea its one of the anoying things that compare between the two.. i prefered Windows XP Professional Edition than Home Edition because you are able to control things more.. Home just pushes you to areas and hides the rest :p .. Plus i always thought Pro was better with Driver support than Home Edition too

I dont perticualy like the Active Desktops. Most of them i have seen over at the November, December and January Desktop forums are too bright for my liking :D .. i prefer the dark colours :).. or should i say "Dim coloured" themes but not grey :p

:cool:

There is a reason Home and Pro are different. Pro is made to be on an AD domain and be fully configurable. Home is meant to sit on dialup or cable and just work for the "half twit" home user. That's the problem, Windows had been dumbed down so much. It requires NO knowledge at all to use.

Its handy for Beginners tho when you think about it, theres a version for professional users ie. Windows XP Pro and theres a version for beginners ie. Windows XP Home

Even tho still Windows XP Pro is easier than any other Windows which as been created but you cant go wrong with XP Pro and even if you can, theres always a restore option :p

Originally posted by Un4gIvEn1
Home is meant to sit on dialup or cable and just work for the "half twit" home user.

/me points out Alex_is_Axel's sig picture to Un4gIvEn1 - "Windows XP Home"

stuck ur foot in it there m8y :p heh

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back