Compress Drive and Indexing

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi Guys,

I have a mirrored RAID set of drives used for straight storage. I got about 8 gigs left out of 80 gigs room. I was wondering if I should use the Compress Disk to save space feature as well as indexing the drive as well. This is a mapped drive off my main server, not a disk set in my gaming computer.

Thanks in advance.

Heeter

Both of them, if used upto a certain limit, can be good.

Don't use the compression feature for frequently accessed files, since you'll be opening them often, and you might notice a slowdown when accessing them.

Most tweak sites recommend turning off the Indexing Service, but it's a huge blessing if used correctly. For example, don't index the entire drive. That will eat CPU cycles and disk I/O. Instead, use it on your folder containing documents, for example, or other data that you want to be able to find instantaneously using the Windows Search feature. The advantage of doing this is the service stores information about the filenames and the contents of the files in an index, and if you ever need to search for something, it's very very fast. Plus, you can search for words contained within Word documents etc. which can be very useful. Also remember though, that the more files/folders you choose to index, the more the disk space taken up by the index, so again, stay within limits, and it should work to your advantage :)

I love the indexing feature, and the sites that recomend turning it off, (it's off by default) in my opinion don't have a clue

of course, until your drive is indexed, there will be some unwanted hardrive activity

but that's gone once the drive is indexed

searches are much faster, and as I say, I hardly notice any extra hardrive activity at all now that my drive is fully indexed

Thanks guys,

CPU cycles are not a factor for me. For me, file retrieval and storage capacity is way on top of my list.

If I understand Nets correctly, Indexing takes up storage space? I thought Indexing is just a filing system.

Heeter

Yes, Indexing does take up space, though usually not a whole lot. The amount of space used depends on the number of files being indexed, as well as the amount of content within documents, for example.

The Indexing service on my computer monitors My Documents and certain other folder that I need quick search access to. Basically, about 9000 indexed documents/files have created a 28 MB index so far, so it's not very much at all.

Heeter

Compression won't do you any good if the files on your server are mpeg, MP3, jpeg, etc. Those are already compressed and recompression will only add a few percent if anything.

Thanks Guys,

Considering my situation, should I Compress the files and folders in my File/Ftp server? Will accessing the files/folders from my other "Workstations" be hindered because of the compression in my Server tower? Will the FTP side of the server suffer any degredation?

Heeter

Considering my situation, should I Compress the files and folders in my File/Ftp server?
Depends on what kind of files they are. Many files are already compressed these days. If there are many files smaller than 4 kbytes you could consider splitting up the partition on the server and using a smaller cluster size.

Will accessing the files/folders from my other "Workstations" be hindered because of the compression in my Server tower?
Should not be.

Will the FTP side of the server suffer any degredation?
Is the FTP on a T3? If not there should be no noticable speed degrade. Bandwidth will be your limit not CPU decompress time.

I'm assuming decompression will occur on the server CPU. If you could find an application that let you send compressed then decompress at the recieving computer your transfer time would actually speed up. This freaky little characteristic first started showing up with the first DOS disk compression utilities. Compresion actually started speeding up the HD access. The data file was smaller and got read off the slow disk faster. The CPU overhead to decompress was less than the amount of time to read the larger uncompressed file off the disk.

Thanks for all your answers, LeeJend.

That answered alot.

Heeter

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back