Completely Clean Hard Drive And Reformat

S

Singleman593

Is there an app/software that I can use to completely clean my hdd and also to reformat it ? any info is greatly appreciated.:cool:

Unless you have been a really really bad boy then formating the drive would be sufficient. Insert the xp cd & bootup. Follow the screens to the format area. Make sure all the files you want to keep are backed up & you have needed driveres safely stored also.

Originally posted by Hipster Doofus
Unless you have been a really really bad boy then formating the drive would be sufficient. Insert the xp cd & bootup. Follow the screens to the format area. Make sure all the files you want to keep are backed up & you have needed driveres safely stored also.
thanx Hipster Doofus.I hav done all of that.i'm not a bad boy....just having problems with blue screens and freezing ups when my daughter plays sims city 4.I MUST HAV look at everything but to no avail...frustration is taking over.

The best way to do it is to delete the partition, recreate the partition and then reinstall the OS ..

Reformating just overwrites what is there and some of it don't get over written ....

I use a 98 boot disk to do mine ....

thats exactly what happened ( overwriting) I even tried to delete the partition using the xp cd but it said no.would I be able to use partition magic to do the partition? thanx.

Partition Magic will do anything you want. It is magic after all. :D I normally boot using the floppies if doing something like that.

thanx guys for all your help.... now i'll search for a bootable floppy.

Hey Nomad do you know if that works with NTFS file systems?
Doofus - good question , i am using ntfs file sys.

If you are going to use partition magic the floppies will boot. Insert number one & boot up. Two in total. (Fat32 or NTFS)

Hey Nomad do you know if that works with NTFS file systems?

I use It on Fat32 and NTFS, I boot from the A: drive, I then use clearhdd to clear the harddrive, I then reboot with my XP bootdisks to format with NTFS and install XP.

Originally posted by Nomad
I use It on Fat32 and NTFS, I boot from the A: drive, I then use clearhdd to clear the harddrive, I then reboot with my XP bootdisks to format with NTFS and install XP.
Good stuff. I'll tuck that little app away for future times. :)

If you make a recovery disk of partition magic you can do it also .. but you have to install it first, on the install it will give you the option to make one - if something happens then you can run it to do what ever you want, make ntfs, dos, and linux drives .. so I guess it would be easier ..

I just found that I like 98 boot floppies better ...

but beware if you have a prebuilt pc such as dell then you may well delete the hidden partition that is used to restore your pc tread carefully:)

Singleman, if you are having problems like BSODs and lockups, it's probably not because of the harddrive unless you have some bad sectors or perhaps an EXTREMELY fragged harddrive. What OS are you running?

instead of trying to format,why dont you just repair xp,boot from the ,cd
Here is a tip for anyone having problems with XP .Just repair it,if you want to save all your current programs.

Just boot from the cd as you originally did.Let the install begin You will be prompted to installl or repair.Choose install here!

Let the process continue, Accept the licensing agreement.

It will scan for previous versions of Xp and will give you the option of repairing or reinstalling.Choose repair at this point!!!

It will go through the whole install process.After you are done it will be repaired with all of your software that was installed,as well as your files.

hope this helps a little:happy:

Originally posted by zyfos
Singleman, if you are having problems like BSODs and lockups, it's probably not because of the harddrive unless you have some bad sectors or perhaps an EXTREMELY fragged harddrive. What OS are you running?
xp pro..... maxtor 60gbhdd (master) 512 mb ddr ram... nvidia v card g force 3 .

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back