Completed: Server Move

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electronic Punk

willalwaysbewithyou
Staff member
Political Access
Earlier this week I called the server hosts, Server Matrix, in an attempt to buy more RAM as 512meg was simply not enough.

Here is our current server specifics:
Intel Celeron 2.4gig
512meg RAM
FreeBSD 4.x

Our new server, which would cost less than the above server with the new RAM:
Intel Pentium 4 3gig
1024 RAM
FreeBSD 5.x

We have the rest of the month (take away a week) to get this upgrade done and are trying to take our time, but we understand that the site has been sluggish at some times over the christmas period so want to make it up to you all.

We will slowly start migrating from teh old server to the new in such a way that we can minimise disruption, downtime and keep everything nicely syncronised.

Translation mode on: "Stat thinking up new names for the site!"

;)

I have many database backups in many places now.
But the two servers will be running in parallel for a while and what is the chance of two servers going wrong at the same time? Er.

reminds me of a squirrel... the backups are like the squirrels food it stores during the cold (nuts)... have lots of em during winter time but dunno where any is when you need it :D

;)

The old server might become a counter-strike : Source server for the rest of the month. And by might I mean will. :)

cool

FreeBSD 5.x is so much better than the 4.x branch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back