Complete XP slowdown..... Help please!!!!

M

Mr. Ass

Alright i just bought a 200 gig Western Digital drive and it came with an ultra ata controller so i slaved my 40 gig and installed windows xp fresh on my 200 gig... Since installation I am getting the slowest XP performance i have gotten in the last 2 years. System sounds pop and skip and the mouse pointer lags. My buddy said booting off an ultra ata controller could cause performance issues because the pci bus is much slower then the ide bus but this is outrageous! I just installed windows on it last night and it hangs at the spash screen for a good 2 minutes and the screen goes black for another minute before showing the login screen... Help me please!!!!

I had a similar problem. Maybe not related, but here goes.

I had my hard drive set to master and the only one on the ide cable. My computer was always slow starting. I changed it to CS and wow what a difference.

They are set to cable select by default :( Could having a 40 gig slave on the same ultra ata channel slow things?

Easy way to check that is unplug the 40, set the 200 to master and try it. Maybe also try the cs setting.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back