Comperssion Prog..

I've used Winzip and Winrar, but I don't know which is better. Sometimes Winzip compresses better, sometimes Winrar compresses better. I think it all dependes on what you are compressing.

I use WinRar. Basically because you can open almost all compressed files.

WinRAR is the one for me because it supports multiple formats, has nice shell extensions, and it generally has a good compression ratio for most files (even multimedia ones).

Same as most other people, I use WinRar, probably for the same reasons to, multiple file type handling and good shell extensions.

Haven't used WinZip since windows 98 :)

why would anyone use winzip?? lol

Winrar is more powerful and cheaper. Rar is a very much better than zip, and winrar can make zip files anyway. Make powerful sfx files add recovery records and loads of other stuff. Winace is does stuff like winrar, but i found it crashes all the freakin time, and the GUI sucks. ;)

I like WinAce. Supports ACE, ZIP, RAR, CAB, and a ****load of other compression schemes all in one program.

Melon

Why would someone use WinZip when Windows ME/XP has a much nicer way of handling zipped files? I use WinRAR for archiving, but I think it's a rip to have to pay for it. Not that I paid for it.....

Originally posted by RaWShadow
why would anyone use winzip?? lol

Winrar is more powerful and cheaper. Rar is a very much better than zip, and winrar can make zip files anyway. Make powerful sfx files add recovery records and loads of other stuff. Winace is does stuff like winrar, but i found it crashes all the freakin time, and the GUI sucks. ;)

Hmmm, where have i heared this before?
... why would anyone use Windows?? lol
Linux is more powerful and cheaper...

[sorry I had to!] EJ:blink:

how about marketing????

WinAce

I like the way it makes EXEs (self extracting zips), and the way they decompress.
Total Commander all the way, I even registered it. Still have the original floppy from 1996. Woah, can't believe it's been that long.
:eek:

For a good read on compression.
http://www.rojakpot.com/
Look under Article Database > Compression Comparison Guide

errrrrrrrrrrrr

this is easy

winzip8.1 for .zip files
winrar311 for .rar files
winace2.2 for .ace files

ever noticed how some files wont decompress without the right version of decompressor

doh!!!!

:p :p :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back