• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Comperssion Prog..

djwhite

OSNN Senior Addict
I've used Winzip and Winrar, but I don't know which is better. Sometimes Winzip compresses better, sometimes Winrar compresses better. I think it all dependes on what you are compressing.

V

vishalpai

WinRAR is the one for me because it supports multiple formats, has nice shell extensions, and it generally has a good compression ratio for most files (even multimedia ones).

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
Same as most other people, I use WinRar, probably for the same reasons to, multiple file type handling and good shell extensions.

Haven't used WinZip since windows 98 :)

R

RaWShadow

why would anyone use winzip?? lol

Winrar is more powerful and cheaper. Rar is a very much better than zip, and winrar can make zip files anyway. Make powerful sfx files add recovery records and loads of other stuff. Winace is does stuff like winrar, but i found it crashes all the freakin time, and the GUI sucks. ;)

melon

MS-DOS 2.0
Political User
I like WinAce. Supports ACE, ZIP, RAR, CAB, and a ****load of other compression schemes all in one program.

Melon

M

ModestCargo

Why would someone use WinZip when Windows ME/XP has a much nicer way of handling zipped files? I use WinRAR for archiving, but I think it's a rip to have to pay for it. Not that I paid for it.....

Elroy Jetson

Little Dipper School
Originally posted by RaWShadow
why would anyone use winzip?? lol

Winrar is more powerful and cheaper. Rar is a very much better than zip, and winrar can make zip files anyway. Make powerful sfx files add recovery records and loads of other stuff. Winace is does stuff like winrar, but i found it crashes all the freakin time, and the GUI sucks. ;)
Hmmm, where have i heared this before?
... why would anyone use Windows?? lol
Linux is more powerful and cheaper...

[sorry I had to!] EJ:blink:

how about marketing????

RazerBack

The First Rebirth
WinAce

I like the way it makes EXEs (self extracting zips), and the way they decompress.
Total Commander all the way, I even registered it. Still have the original floppy from 1996. Woah, can't believe it's been that long.
:eek:

For a good read on compression.
http://www.rojakpot.com/
Look under Article Database > Compression Comparison Guide

2z

OSNN Gamer
errrrrrrrrrrrr

this is easy

winzip8.1 for .zip files
winrar311 for .rar files
winace2.2 for .ace files

ever noticed how some files wont decompress without the right version of decompressor

doh!!!!

:p :p :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loxioalix