Compact Flash card reader

O

operator

I'm running XP home SP1. I've tried hooking my digital camera up thru the USB port to download the pictures, but no drive is mapped, even though XP saw the camera correctly. I tried using a USB card reader- same results. The hardware is seen, but no drive is mapped in Explorer or My Computer (G: in this case). If I open a command prompt window, I can change to the G: drive, copy or delete files, whatever I want to do. Just can't see the drive as a drive. Tried contacting MS Support- their answer was "Huh, got me!" I've tried 2 different digital cameras and 2 different brands of card readers- same results with all. Anybody here have any ideas?
TIA,
Tom F.

I got a a card reader along with the Kodak camera that I bought. No drivers came with the card reader, and it took bl**dy ages to track some down. Now I have eventually got the drivers installed the damn thing works occassionally! If I try to connect/disconnect the virtual device on the fly (as you are supossedly able to do) my whole bl**dy system blue screens. But I am able to get the images off if i'm VERY careful.
I got my drivers from:
http://www.usb-drivers.com/drivers/77/77610.htm

probably no help at all, but I tried

TOK

Go to the manufactorers site & get the latest software/driver downloads for your camera. I have a kodak & I had to download & install them in the correct order. Doesn't give me any trouble. Haven't had it very long but still needed the latest stuff from their site for xp.

Been there, tried that. Not only does it say on the site that the drivers are NOT needed with XP, when I downloaded it and tried to install them anyhow, the installer told me they weren't needed, and stopped.

Maybe I can clarify this some. The card reader itself is being recognized- it shows up in my taskbar, and in device manager as a USB Mass Storage Device (driver=usbstor.sys - WinXP SP1 version). The only thing I can't do is map to it as a drive through Explorer when a card is inserted.

On mine I have to make sure the transfer sofware is running then it shows up in explorer. (I removed it from startup & load it when needed) Apart from that I have no idea. Sorry.

Just an idea, never had the problem myself. Maybe the G-drive is hidden. Do you have TweakUi installed. If so open it - My Computer - drives and see if there is a checkmark beside G.
Or look in the registry if there is a NoDrives value in one of these keys:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

I'm not using tweak- had bad experiences with it in 98 and ME. I do have a binary value (c2 ff ff o3) under HKLM, but not under HKCU.

My bust- I have a value under the Explorer key in HKCU, but not HKLM.

Against my better judgement, I installed TweakUI. And under Drives I was able to pick the G: drive. It works, I am able to view my photos this way. That's all fine and dandy, but a person shouldn't have to install an unsupported product to attain this end.
Thanks,
Tom F.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back