"Common" folder

DFX

OSNN Senior Addict
Anyone have any ideas why this keeps opening itself when I start my computer up?

Hi,

Something similar has happened to me once or twice. If I remember correctly, you might want to check the

..\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

key for HKLM and HKCU.

It might be trying to start a program which is not there anymore, and thus opens the common folder.

HTH!

Kind regards,
Willem Moolenaar

Excuse my lack of knowledge, but is ".. \SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Cu
rrentVersion\Run" in the registry or what?

Also, I ran a virus check and it showed this:

It says I have 4, but I cant select anything... :huh:

Try doing "FIX" in Norton. If that doesn't work, try right clicking on each folder under C:\ and do "Scan with Norton Antivirus" (or somethin like that). If it finds a file infected there, scan the folders within that folder until you narrow it down to which files are infected. You may also want to try going to Start -> Run and running msconfig. Look at the Startup tab and see if there is anything suspicious running in there that probably shouldn't be. You can uncheck anything that you don't want running and see how that works for ya.

Thanks man, it worked.

I also used RegCleaner and Common was in startup, pretty sure its to do with RealOne Player as I installed it a few days ago to listen to a clip...

I had that happen once. So I just found the folder and made it a hidden folder

Problem fixed, kinda.

Sorry for my late reply. Yes I am talking about the registry. Excuse me for not being entirely clear. I was talking about checkin the "RUN" key in the registry for the "Current User" (HKCU = Hive Key Current User) AND "Local Machine" (HKLM = Hive Key Local Machine).

Start the registry editor (START > Run > regedit > OK) and browse to:

HKLM > Software > Microsoft > Windows > Current Version > Run

and the same above but for HKCU.

Check the entries and look for anything particular. There are a few "common" folders on your PC. Which of those is it actually opening? If you are not sure what to do, maybe you could make an EXPORT (File > Export) of the "Run" key and post it here, so we / I could take a look at it.

Good luck and kind regards,
Willem Moolenaar

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back