Commercially free antivirus

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hey all,

Was wondering if there is an antivirus that is freeware and GNU friendly.

If there is one, is it worthwhile to use?

I am thinking clamwin, is there others?

This is for Win2003Standard, XPPro and Win2000Pro machines in a small 5 computer accounting office.

Thanks

Heeter

In my humble opinion, free Antivirus shouldn't be used because you get what you pay for. If you are referring to a server as well, that machine especially should have a top-notch virus program. Get something along the lines of a program that allows monitoring from the server for all the clients, which will streamline your administration. Most companies make this, including McAfee, Symantec and NOD32.

If your customer is a tough sell, explain to them what may happen if a virus chews up their entire network in 3.2 seconds, rendering all their machines relatively useless.

Actually, he is a tough sell.

First year startup costs have been killing him. At first I recommended him to get Sophos, but he would just get something for the first year, then move to something more powerful, server based, which monitors the whole network.

Thanks KC,

Heeter

Could use AVAST, or AVG on the clients. Not sure if either is compatible with a server platform. I would just make sure he understands the risks involved.

sophos can be installed on a server and monitor the whole network

He's looking for a free solution, pretty sure Sophos costs moolah.

AVG has a free edition. I can send it to you if you want. AVG works on most computers.

I would have to agree. You should look at solutions optimized for servers. Normally, free versions of AV are optimized for desktop usage, not a server.

Optimization aside, files and data within a networked environment that involves a server need to have adequate security around them. Paid for solutions offer a higher quality of protection versus free products, at least in most cases.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back