Command Prompt on Desktop

A

Aeternus

I did a forum search first, but no results showed up, so here I go :)

Is it possible to integrate the command prompt in my Active Desktop? If so, how would I go about doing that?

Many thanks in advance,

Aeternus

Very interesting question. I don't think it's possible, since you have to go into the source of cmd.exe and the source is not available. But I do think it's possible to call the cmd.exe from a HTML-script, ie you type in 'C:\folder\file.exe' in a text field and the script makes 'C:\windows\system32\cmd.exe C:\folder\file.exe' of it.
If that is what you need, I could try make one for you.

Aeternus: Maybe if you could give us more information as to what you are trying to do, maybe we could help you figure out what else might be possible.

Might be the complete opposite of what you are looking for... but if you save the following in a file (call it cmdprompthere.reg or something) and then run that, it will add an option to your "right click" menu. If you select a folder and then right click and select "Command Prompt" it will open it with that dir as the current dir. Good luck, and Welcome!

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\OpenNew]
@="Command Prompt"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\OpenNew\Command]
@="cmd.exe /k cd %1"

Thanks for the replies and the welcome :D

Glaanieboy: I was already afraid it wouldn't be possible :huh:
I also thought of the solution you gave, but that means a new command window will pop up every time, so that's not really what I'm looking for. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

Un4gIvEn1: I would like to integrate the command prompt in my active desktop, thus have some type of textarea in my HTML file that does exactly the same as the command prompt. Hope this makes clear what I want to do...

I am now using this program [LINK]. It works great, but it sits in my taskbar, that's the only annoying thing about it..

The only way I think that it would be possible is by using Java or something.

i'm guessing since, active desktop is based around links mainly, you're not looking to only have a link to the command prompt on your active desktop right?

your actually trying to make a text entry field that will behave like a command prompt window?

If you use the taskbar, you can add the address bar and it will behave for the most part like the run command box, which is similar to a command prompt...(the only difference i've noticed is that if what you type isn't anything in the "system or system32" folders it just does an internet search)

and if you use the program "FreshUI" from Fresh Devices , you can add programs and scripts to the command path, and launch all your applications with text commands to the address bar...

Originally posted by baser5nature
your actually trying to make a text entry field that will behave like a command prompt window?

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm trying to achieve..

Originally posted by baser5nature
If you use the taskbar, you can add the address bar and it will behave for the most part like the run command box, which is similar to a command prompt...(the only difference i've noticed is that if what you type isn't anything in the "system or system32" folders it just does an internet search)

and if you use the program "FreshUI" from Fresh Devices , you can add programs and scripts to the command path, and launch all your applications with text commands to the address bar...

That's a nice suggestion, but I'm not looking to launch applications from the command prompt. I'll mainly use commands like 'ping', 'tracert', 'netstat' and such...

Thanks for all the help :)

Here ya go bud... http://perso.wanadoo.fr/ruindivision/features.htm

I know it may not be EXACTLY what you are looking for, but I know that in my quest to find a solution for you, I have found something that I will probably use. I find myself using ping, nbtstat, tracert, and a lot of other things and sometimes it becomes a pain to launch cmd.exe all the time. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Thanks man, that's really appreciated! :D

I think that's as close as we'll get :)

Thanks again,

Aeternus

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back