Comcast Raises Upload AND Download Speeds

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
Comcast has raised speeds yet again to combat competitors, doubling the download to a whopping 16MB/s, and increasing the upload speed to 1MB/s

This is the first time in a long time I have seen the upload speed change, and doubling the download is very nice too. Not in my area yet (MA), but soon :D

In an effort to fend off competition from Verizon's FiOS service, which offers download speeds of up to 15Mbit per second, Comcast has doubled the speed of its top-tier broadband service to 16Mbit. The change is currently being rolled out in a few markets, including Reston, Va.; Sarasota, Fla.; Fort Wayne, Ind.; and Howard County, Md.

http://www.betanews.com/article/Comcast_Ups_Cable_Speed_to_16Mbit/1143653359

It still won't beat fios. Plus, Fios will be cheaper. :)

I cant help but think april fools.... but I dont think this is. The 16mb download is just rediculous imo, but the upload increase is very useful.

Woot nice speed. I was up to 8Mb before I moved out of their service area :(

I'm at 8MB now, probably won't see 16 for awhile though.

It wont be more expensive than fios...
fios are only cheap for the bad 5 mbps speed...
after that the price hikes alot.
Derek - How long before ma gets the 16 mbs? Any clue?

-Jack

omg its no wonder ive been downloaded at well over 1mb/s!!!!! I thought I haxed my modem on accident. :) That puts it at about 10mb/s. They said they were upgrading my area but I had no idea this soon.

Vanquished said:
It wont be more expensive than fios...
fios are only cheap for the bad 5 mbps speed...
after that the price hikes alot.

-Jack

15/2 is 44.95 / 49.95 a month. There is no way that comcast will have that service for less than $60.00. Heck, the 3 meg that Adelphia has is over $50.00 a month ....

My dad just got a 8MB pipe, $80-ish (warner cable or whoever does cable internet with them) a month. Company paid though.

I get to continue using the lame 3MB dsl line.

My Comcast cable internet that i have right now at 9mbps is only 42.95... They upgraded me without making me pay more...

Edit: I just checked the comcast product thing online and the reason mine is cheaper is because it is with cable too... Otherwise its like 57 dollars or something...

Last edited:
I've been having problems with my connection for the last week, I wonder if these upgrades are the cause.

You're on Comcast I assume?
They could be the cause, how old is your modem?
I had problems with my modem after only 2 years of use...

I've had Comcast for about 6 months, its been solid otherwise, but I get a lot of lost packets and I get dropped from XBox live every 45 minutes or so. Its intermittent, just goes out for a few seconds here and there.

I have comcast and have for years. The price increases on the cable modem side, pending you are bundled with TV, are few and far between. The cable rates have recently been hiked roughly 4-5 bucks though, pending on your subscription services.

Vanquished - not sure when it's coming to MA. Doesn't matter to me much anyways, as I said before I'm not even coming close to saturating the 8MB/s I already have :)

Hmm...
You just began having problems?
My modem was intermittent off and on until it broke 2 years in use, you don't have the shark fin style modem do you?
I know comcast and myself had problems with that.

Yah, it really doesnt matter to me either, im the same, i barely use the 9 i have...

j79zlr said:
I've been having problems with my connection for the last week, I wonder if these upgrades are the cause.

Probably. SBC up'd everybody's bandwidth a while back and for a month after that service was substandard until the server capacity was upgraded.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back