Comcast DVR and recordings

Punkrulz

Somewhat eXPerienced
Hey guys,

To me this seemed to be the best suited forum for this kind of question. I have a Comcast DVR. Originally it used to be able to record multiple programs at the same time, however for some reason now, when something is recording, it will jump to that program and lock you out... what controls how many programs you can record and what would have changed? I can't say for sure if EVERY program does this, but so far it seems like all of them.

Does it have a single mode and a dual mode like Dish DVRs? Or is it permanently supposed to go to one TV?

My Comcast DVR has dual tuners, but I believe there are models that have only one.

If yours behaves as you say and you have a dual tuner and are only recording one program, you can hit the SWAP (towards the bottom of the remote) button which will change to the tuner that isn't recording and let you watch something else.

Unfortunately I don't think there are two tuners on this one. I know there is only one cable that is going to the box, if that helps any. We do have the cable going through a splitter, 1 to the DVR, 1 to the bedroom digital box, and 1 to the modem.

The reason it strikes me as being incredibly odd is that it used to have no problem recording two, even three programs at the same time which I've seen it do. Now like last night I was watching TV, and at 9pm it switched over to watching the Unit on CBS. Not that I'm complaining about that, but it would have been nice to keep recording that, and switch channels at my leisure.

Technically it really defeats the purpose of the whole thing. It's great that I can set something to record while I'm not home... but if I am home, I'm forced to watch the program I'm recording, defeating the purpose of the recording all together!

I would contact Comcast.

In the event yours doesn't have the dual-tuner, they will probably replace your current unit to the current one I have, which will give more features and I think the upgrade cost is minimal - around 14.95 or something.

They also may be able to give you reasons why your current unit is misbehaving.

I would contact Comcast.

In the event yours doesn't have the dual-tuner, they will probably replace your current unit to the current one I have, which will give more features and I think the upgrade cost is minimal - around 14.95 or something.

They also may be able to give you reasons why your current unit is misbehaving.

Yeah what he said... to simplify.. try and think back... if you are SURE you were recording two shows, then you HAVE to have a dual setup... and with that it will force you to view one of the two shows it is recording... at least that is how mine is setup... I dont know if there are ANY DVR's which allow for recording more than two shows while allowing you to watch another one....

I would think the same would be true on a single setup...
As in if you are watching one and recording one, you may only be able to watch the show you are recording at that time...

Goodluck! and post back so everyone knows the answer for sure!!

Alright, I am going to ask my Fire Captain some of these questions... he works for Comcast. ;) Beyond that I will contact Comcast when I get the chance. Ultimately though I think rather than answer my questions, I think they are going to try and "quell" me by replacing the box effortlessly, only by taking the cable box up to the Comcast station over in the next town. Hopefully that's not the case.

But I can tell you guys this for sure:

1) There is 1 cable going to my cable box, 1 and only 1.
2) In the past I have definitely been able to watch a show, while another one was being recorded. Not sure how it is supposed to work, but I know for a fact that would be the case. Hands down, no doubt, no confusion.

It's like watching Family guy. My girlfriend records 7th Heaven at 8pm-9pm. It used to be that the box used to immediately begin recording Family guy when that started at 9pm. Unfortunately, now the box will alert you that it needs to switch to the channel, either you can switch channels and continue recording (before 7th Heaven is over), or you can Stay to current channel and cancel future recording.

Something is definitely different than it used to be.

Just to update you guys...

It's 8:00pm, November 29th, 2006.

At 8pm, My DVR Box is recording Bones, and my girlfriend is watching Emeril... thus my proof, it can be done! So why do some applications prevent the tuner from changing without stopping recording?

well even if it has dual tuners it only has one cable going to it so that doesn't matter. If the show gets locked on and won't let you watch there may be the chance that there is another show recording and you don't know it...that's the only time my box gets locked to one show or the other.

Also the links I posted can help you set up the remote to swap tuners (if the remote isn't set up to do it ((my first remote wasn't so I programmed it)) and the links will help with seeing how the dvr works. The remote link was very important to me...like setting up a 30 second skip which isn't programmed in.

well even if it has dual tuners it only has one cable going to it so that doesn't matter. If the show gets locked on and won't let you watch there may be the chance that there is another show recording and you don't know it...that's the only time my box gets locked to one show or the other.

THIS is exactly what I was trying to say in my previous post...

That it sounded like he already had a dual tuner device and had TWO shows recording thereby forcing him to watch one or the other...

:D

YEP! This is how I found out you could only record two shows, and you have to watch ONE of them...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back