Coal Speak Forum for Ferral_Imp

Mastershakes

OSNN Veteran Addict
I don't usually start threads, but Perris has encouraged me to do so.

This is for you Ferral_Imp, this thread is dedicated to 'Coal Speak'

Here is some sample text ripped off a recent 'Spiderman' incident article on CNN.

Wearing only a pair of red pants, Alain Robert, 42, scrambled up the Cheung Kong Center on Saturday -- the flagship building of Hong Kong's richest man, Li Ka-shing -- in about an hour. He said the building was 283 meters (928 feet) tall.

During his climb, Robert rested several times and even answered a reporter's phone calls.

"I can't talk to you right now. I'm climbing," said Robert, renowned for scaling buildings without ropes or other equipment.

After reaching the top of the building, he waved to a small crowd of spectators on the ground below. He said he was greeted by police, firefighters and security guards at the top of the building.

Please submit your translated 'coal' speak of the bolded text above for review.

The judging panel has yet to be commisioned. Nominations are currently being accepted in thread.

Mastershakes said:
I don't usually start threads, but Perris has encouraged me to do so.

This is for you Ferral_Imp, this thread is dedicated to 'Coal Speak'

Here is some sample text ripped off a recent 'Spiderman' incident article on CNN.

Wearing only a pair of red pants, Alain Robert, 42, scrambled up the Cheung Kong Center on Saturday -- the flagship building of Hong Kong's richest man, Li Ka-shing -- in about an hour. He said the building was 283 meters (928 feet) tall.

During his climb, Robert rested several times and even answered a reporter's phone calls.

"I can't talk to you right now. I'm climbing," said Robert, renowned for scaling buildings without ropes or other equipment.

After reaching the top of the building, he waved to a small crowd of spectators on the ground below. He said he was greeted by police, firefighters and security guards at the top of the building.

Please submit your translated 'coal' speak of the bolded text above for review.

The judging panel has yet to be commisioned. Nominations are currently being accepted in thread.

Wearin' nothin but some farr-engine-red knickers, Alain Robert (a man who's too old to be runnin up buildings of any sort, specially Chinese ones), said the buildin' was 283 meters big. Dunno what that means in feets, but it sounds awful high.

Up'n his climb, Robert set a few times and even took a coupla phone calls on the cellyer.

"Cain't talk now. Ahm climbin!" said Robert, renowned for scalin o' buildins 'thout ropes er nuthin.

Anyways he got to the top o' th buildin an flapped his fool arms at the folks below. Th' cops an farrmen an securrty at the buildin' wun't to impressed.

Ha...I was raised around it. I hain't said "worsh" since I was 10 though.

Hey unwanted, I would like you to decypher this. :rolleyes:

mrducks
mrnotducks
osar cdedbdwings?
yib mrducks

In Coal Speak of course.:D

gonaads said:
Hey unwanted, I would like you to decypher this. :rolleyes:

mrducks
mrnotducks
osar cdedbdwings?
yib mrducks

In Coal Speak of course.:D

The age-old argument. Also don't forget snakes. cmedbdi's? Lib! mrsnakes

Mrpuppies, too. cmpn?

By the way, "coal speak" is a new term for me. I just thought that's how my grandparents (and my mom, for a while) talked. Grandpa (pronounced Gramp-uh) was a coal minin' man too...

Last edited:
perris said:
*/me lost*

Them are ducks.
Them are not ducks!
Oh yes they are! See them itty bitty wings?

Why, I'll be!

Them are ducks.

I am fortunate enough to live right smack in the middle of Da Antersite Coal Minin' region...Da bootiful 'Lectric City, Scranton, PA!

Seriously, I live in a suburb of Scranton, and though the term 'Coal Speak' is a new one to me also, the dialect here is sure unique.

I was discussing with a coworker a few weeks ago (who was headed for vacation in California), how people I met in Basic Training way back when in Georgia knew EXACTLY where I was from by my 'accent'.

Kinda funny doncha tink? Hayna er no?

Unwonted said:
The age-old argument. Also don't forget snakes. cmedbdi's? Lib! mrsnakes

Mrpuppies, too. cmpn?

By the way, "coal speak" is a new term for me. I just thought that's how my grandparents (and my mom, for a while) talked. Grandpa (pronounced Gramp-uh) was a coal minin' man too...

Heh heh. Oooh what fun. :p

Someone invite me over for this:

Anthracite Special : standard fare at weddings, funeral breakfasts, and other social occasions in the coal region. All food is served family style by women who are usually in a hurry. Usually ham or beef, chicken, kelbo. A really big to-do will feature both filling AND stuffing (filling is made from potatoes, stuffing from bread). Bottles of A-Treat soda are placed on tables before guests arrive; early arrivals get to change the bottles around to their tastes. Usually the fare includes cold cuts, city chicken, and potato salad, with jello or ice cream (or both) for dessert.

I didn't think a joke of mine could spawn a whole new thread here. :eek: :speechless: I thought it was hilarious reading what Perris wrote in the other thread cuz it so reminded me of how my gram, her siblings and a bunch of her friends talk.

And yeah "coal speak" is a more modern term that was coined for the dialects of the anthracite coal region. (to answer Gonaads, Unwonted, The Patriot).

I think I'll shut up now and not say anything fer awhile. :speechless:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back