CMOS Checksum Error (Still)

J

jcs83md

A friend of mine bought some of my old parts a month ago (Duron 800, 512 RAM... etc) and went to buy a motherboard on his own. He goes out and buys a refurbished Abit because it was only $40. Turns out the keyboard/mouse ports didnt work but with USB peripherals that wasnt a problem. After attempting to link up two dial-up modems together the computer began running extremely slow (10 minutes to boot windows) then after repeated attempts to fix it, a Boot Block CMOS Checksum error occured on startup. And would not let the computer proceed. After countless days of research and troubleshooting he went out and purchased a new MSI motherboard.

To no avail, the MSI still didn't save the CMOS settings but did however let him boot the computer. After the CMOS error comes up, he has power off, reset the jumper or else he won't get video. When he attempts to save in CMOS and exit, the computer fails to power on after powering off.

The battery checks out, no viruses found, tried new power supply.. other video cards, modems. Anyone have any ideas?

The only thing you have not mentioned is the HDD, but I'm not so sure you would get check sum error. Maybe memory you say 516mb is this in 2 sticks if so try with just 1, other than that I've not got a clue. :)

I doubt there is any way a CMOS checksum error could be caused by a faulty hard drive. Yes, it is remotely possible the RAM could be causing this, however it is only 1 stick of 512 and we dont have any PC133 RAM handy to test it out. Oh well, maybe he'll never know

It would only cost about £15 for 128mb to find out, and if it is the RAM he would always be able to fit more along side the 128 stick.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back