Cloning with Ghost...

leedogg

Gojyone kawaiiiiiiii!
I just bought a new WD 250GB drive and I currently have the following in my pc:
1 x IBM 60gb (primary drive)
1 x WD 120gb
1 x Maxtor 160gb

Ideally there would be another channel to add the new drive, but i'm limited to these 3 plus my burner.

Now I want to transfer everything from the 120 -> 250 and my question is if its possible/advisable to use Ghost to clone my 60 onto my 120 and then use the 120 as my primary hd?

How does cloning treat drives of different size/manufacture? does it matter?

no it does not I have cloned many times and it works very well, just format the 120 first then move the 60 to the 120 , should not be a problem

Or make your partition and then move the 60 to the partition on the 120 where you want it , you can use partition magic if needed from a floppy to set active partitions if you need to but if you clone it will make the first 60Gigs of the 120Gig a mirrior of what it is now.

cool thanks for the info! hmm I'll have to think about partitioning it....any particular benefit to having a small primary hd?

you may want to move the paging file to its own partition too

Yes I like my pagefile not on my C:, well the real benifit is if you keep let's say a 15Gig partition as your OS primary, and your other stuff on different drives or partitions you can set it up by reassociating the games and programs by pointing them to the right locations by reinstalling them but after you have done this one time, your gonna be able to have a nice rather small ghost image of your C: on a different drive then after so many monthes of all kinds of installs and uninstalls and testing drivers and junk crap that piles up, you could just flush the C: and drop the nice clean image back and all your stuff is already attached .... of course stuff installed after the image needs to be reattached but then again that might only be a few small things or a game or two...

Kermit_The_Frog said:
Yes I like my pagefile not on my C:, well the real benifit is if you keep let's say a 15Gig partition as your OS primary, and your other stuff on different drives or partitions you can set it up by reassociating the games and programs by pointing them to the right locations by reinstalling them but after you have done this one time, your gonna be able to have a nice rather small ghost image of your C: on a different drive then after so many monthes of all kinds of installs and uninstalls and testing drivers and junk crap that piles up, you could just flush the C: and drop the nice clean image back and all your stuff is already attached .... of course stuff installed after the image needs to be reattached but then again that might only be a few small things or a game or two...
Thats a good idea, I never thought of that reason before....well to that level... its why i didnt mind having c: as the 60 gig drive since I had 2 60's to clone... but dang 15 gig clones sounds nice :cool:

Its a little bit of work the first time but well worth the effort, I just did mine this weekend past I have 2 x 80 gig and 1 x 40 the 40 is split into 2 parts one for my OS and the other for whatever I try not to load the OS partition more then I have too and also the other half ( 20 ) I use to copy images too as I work them and flush them after I have backed up stuff I use it to store stuff until I have enough to burn a few cd's the other 2 x 80's are my main games and music and movies now that I have reattached all my games and stuff I made a nice clean ghost of stuffed it on to one of the 80's .... so in 3-4 monthes I will just flush C: and drop this image back and have a fully setup tweaked OS with all my attached files in place and that takes max 15 minutes to do ... I tested it and was getting 2800mbs transfer from ghost to drive so it was a breeze .... gotta love ghost what a great program

I'm a drive image user myself, and am thoroughly pissed that Symantec has "acquired" PowerQuest.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back