• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Clone XP installation onto seperate disk

ray_gillespie

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
I currently have 1 SATA HD with XP Pro SP2 on it. I might be getting a copy of Vista soon, and if I do I would like to completely clone my current installation of XP onto an older PATA HD so I will be free to install VIsta on my newer and faster SATA disk. I want to keep both OSs for a while in case Vista has significant problems with anything I use at the moment.

Is there any software, preferably free, that will allow me to completely copy the contents and OS of one disk to another?

Reps for help.

EDIT: Can anyone correct the spelling in the thread title? It should be spelt 'separate'!

Last edited:
Ghost and True Image are two popular choices. I've used True Image on a number of occasions, and it works as advertised. :)

DriveImage XML is a free alternative that I've come across but never had a chance to try yet, so I'm not sure how well it works. GetDataBack, a data recovery tool from the same company, has worked very well in my experience though, so DIXML might be just as good.
http://www.runtime.org/dixml.htm

Maroon

OSNN Junior Addict
true image and norton ghost are imaging backup progs, i mean it's worth to use them if you need to make backup of your computer, and if you need only to clone the old drive tot a new one, you can use another prog, for example migrate easy, it can easily do what you need and it has a 15 day full working trial version.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timpage