Client Sort order when browsing the network

D

dbray

We've just recevied a Toshiba notebook running XP pro.

When browsig the network (NT Domain), the clients are either sorted by COMMENT, or the name of the logged on user.
If the username is is unknown, then it "falls back" and uses the comment to sort on.
The CLIENT name is shown in parenthesis, but that doesn't help much...

The sort options on the menu are NAME and COMMENT.

One would have assumed that NAME would mean the CLIENT name, as used in the NT, and 9X OS's, rather than USERNAME, but that doesn't appear to be the case with this XP machine.

Is this behavior unique to my installation or is there something that I"m missing?

How can I sort this browse list by the familiar CLIENT name ???

Thanks !!

You should show four sort options: 1) Name, which apparently from your description pulls the username. 2) Comment, which is independent of usernames, etc, but useless if not used widely. 3) Computer, I think this is what you're looking for, just a guess. 4) Network Location, not sure how this would change the appearance as I'm on a Novell network at work, but give it a shot =)
/L.A

I've only got 2 options to sort on when I go to VIEW - ARRANGE ICONS BY...

Name and Comment are my choices.

When I choose VIEW - CHOOSE DETAILS....
I also only have NAME and COMMENT to choose from in that dialog.

This makes no sense..... ???

Thanks

I totally know what you are talking about. I have the same problem. I can not find the solution any where. Everything is listed by the comment. It does not matter what view. Someone please help us.

HELP

YES PLEASE HELP US .
I work in IT and I dont have a solution. This does not make it easy to find a machine on the network. Soome say that I should go around and just change the comments. HAHAHA like I have time. What the hell was MS thinking ?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back